Logo

Hard Shift on a Mercruiser 30 Alpha One

arielbl

"Hi people, I hope you can hel

"Hi people, I hope you can help me. I just bought a Bayliner 175 that comes with an Mercuiser 3.0 with an Alpha One.
The problem is that when I shift either Forward or Reverse, I Get a kick from the engine, when I put it back on Neutral, It goes fine.
I Check the Cutout switch, and it work only when going to neutral, It doesn't seem to work when going to Forward or Reverse. Can anyone tell me what should I do in this case? Thanks"

"Thanks for your answer,
Kick

"Thanks for your answer,
Kick, Actually seemd like the clutch is not working and I can hear some grinding. After that, You can feel a push from the engine and it start going fordward."

"check shift cable adjustment.

"check shift cable adjustment. also when you put it in gear, don't baby it. put it to the shift detent quickly. if you shift slowly it causes grinding, and wears on the clutch dogs. set idle speed at 650-700 in gear (in water)"

"The Shift Cable adjustment is

"The Shift Cable adjustment is the one that have to be form reverse to forward 76mm +/- 3mm?
If so, It is check.
I have the Idle speed at 900 rpm, because f it is to low, the engine will shut off, can that be the problem?"

"Ayuh,... Idle should be 650/

"Ayuh,... Idle should be 650/700rpms in the water, in gear...

Shift it Briskly to avoid the gear chatter..."

Also when shifting into forwar

Also when shifting into forward or reverse you must shift it quickly and firmly so there is a single "clunk"

when you shift slowly it will sound like you are griding the gears.

Common mistake with new Mercruiser boat ownership!!

I do the shifting like I mean

I do the shifting like I mean it. Qill try it today and let you know.
Thanks for your replys.

"I have a 1999 3L Merc Cruiser

"I have a 1999 3L Merc Cruiser. The oil gets milky after a couple of short runs, I assume I have water getting into the oil. Could this be a gasket problem or a much bigger one? What gaskets should I buy if that maybe the problem? Any advice will be greatly apprciated. Thanks.

Ewen Randell
e-mail [email protected]"

Back