Logo

Old gas

o2bboatn

"Have purchased a 42' Chri

"Have purchased a 42' Chris Craft, 502 Crusaders. Gas in tanks abo about 18 months old per owner. Went on sea trail, 10 minuets at 4100 RPM, trail lasted about 1 hour. Engines ran smooth, and seas were smooth also.

Question? What gas additive can I add to the old gas in tanks to assure my 3 hour return trip to home port, maybe in rough seas.
Does anyone know the part number for spin-on Racor gas/water separaters, with the metal water drain bowl that will fit the 502's, 1989 model. They now have the spin-on Sierra's.

This is a GREAT SITE, thanks......"

"..."What gas additive can

"..."What gas additive can I add to the old gas in tanks to assure my 3 hour return trip to home port, maybe in rough seas."

None will ensure that you won't have problems with old gas like that, and ethanol gas at that. At the very least, put Star-Tron enzyme additive in each tank.

I'd run it until the level dropped well below half, then refill with fresh gas and add more Star-Tron. And be sure to change the water separators/ filters and have spares on board.

Jeff"

"if it ran good on your sea tr

"if it ran good on your sea trial you shouldnt have any problems but make sure you have good filters on the motors and bring 2 spares, also topping off the tanks would be a good idea. in rough seas you will have less movement in the tanks if they are full, and adding some new fuel will boost up the octain level"

"Ethanol dissolved crud--that

"Ethanol dissolved crud--that was happy sitting on the bottom of your tanks for years--is now in circulation down there and attempting to plug up your filters.

If I were considering such a LONG trip in a new (to me) unproven boat with 18 month old gas, I would take every precaution (as I described above).

Hate to hear that you had to limp in on one screw.

Jeff

PS: Is that a Commander or a Challenger? Was on the latter a few weeks ago. Beautiful boat!"

"If it where me, I would run a

"If it where me, I would run as much of the old gas out as you can, then fill with fresh gas during the trip. I had 18 month old gas once and the engines would not turn past 1200 rpm. Filled up the tanks and got to 1700. I ended up draining all the gas and filled with fresh and it ran great. You are in better shape than me because you are running fine from the start. 4 filters wouldn't be a bad idea for insurance."

"Thanks you all for your help.

"Thanks you all for your help. I plan to switch to the Racor's before we leave the dock, and will keep extra filter elements within reach.

It is a Catalina 427, and she is in beautiful shape.

Thanks again and safe seas to all!"

when you get the racors make s

when you get the racors make sure you get the 10 micron units or better yet try and get the 2 micron units

"I'd hold off on the 2&#39

"I'd hold off on the 2's until you get most of the crud out. if its there and it starts coming free, the 2's will clog up much faster than the 10's.

Also, if you get the 'crud experience' the units w/o the racor metal bowl are cheaper and quicker to replace.

just food for thought."

"Whoa! Never, ever use anythi

"Whoa! Never, ever use anything finer than 30 microns BEFORE a fuel pump. You can use a 10 micron filter AFTER the pump, but never before.

All it takes is some "evil-nol" inspired crud to suddenly leave the bottom of your tank blooee! The motor(s) will lean out disastrously as those super fine filters plug up (think vapor lock).

Trust me on this! THe list of people ignoring this advise to their detriment is growing--and especially since ethanol gas arrived.

Jeff"

Back