Logo

Weird oil problem mercruiser 165 I6

"Fellas,
I got somethin

"Fellas,
I got something weird. I have gray sludge, which would normally mean water in the oil. Here's the weird part. I only have the sludge in the valve cover and the breather tube that goes over to the flame arrestor. The oil in the pan is fluid according to the dipstick, and although its black (I was getting ready to change it when I noticed the sludge)there are no traces of the sludge in that oil. I was thinking that if there was a head gasket leak, all the oil in the pan should be gray. Any ideas?
Antoine"

"id say you have a condensatio

"id say you have a condensation problem antoine by the symptoms.
2_cents.gif
"

"Steve,
I was thinking along

"Steve,
I was thinking along those lines, especially since it is very humid underneath the boat cover when the boat is layed up for a while. Any thoughts on how I can combat this problem? Is this something you have seen on other motors? Do you think that it is localized in the valve cover because of the composition of the metal?
Antoine"

"The engine is not getting hot

"The engine is not getting hot enough to burn off moisture which is a combustion by-product.

"oil in the pan is fluid according to the dipstick, and although its black (I was getting ready to change it)"

That's part of the problem; waiting to long to change the oil. A new thermostat may be in order along w/a new breather tube."

"Guy,
What you are saying

"Guy,
What you are saying makes sense. I could see changing the thermostat, but on the inline engine I have the breather is just a straight piece of hose. Once I have cleaned it, what would be the purpose of changing it? Not disputing your expertise, just trying to understand for future reference. As for the thermostat, the engine temp when running warm is about half on the temp gage. Isn't this normal, or should it be higher? If the moisture is a product from combustion, should I be looking at timing also?
Antoine

Antoine"

"Antoine:

"just a strai

"Antoine:

"just a straight piece of hose. Once I have cleaned it, what would be the purpose of changing it?"

If it is rubber they tend to swell and narrow over time thereby restricting ventilation. If it is corrugated plastic they become brittle from engine heat and can leak. If it's working then keep it.

"...the engine temp when running warm is about half on the temp gage. Isn't this normal, or should it be higher?"

If the gauge is not marked w/numbers and graduation markers it becomes a guessing game as to what the temp. is at a point in time. Get a laser thermal temp. gun to find out what the temps. are around the engine; a VERY USEFUL tool.

"...should I be looking at timing also?"

Checking it is a good idea. Maintaining the correct engine temp. is the important part of good engine ventilation. Short boat runs can contribute to condensation buildup.

"Not disputing your expertise..."

Not a problem since I'm not an expert at anything except aggravating my spouse of 39 years.

I enjoy using a logical approach to trouble shooting problems which requires some understanding of operational theory. I read each problem and research the theory of operation in order to understand the different possibilities to system failures. Remember that observation is the first step in troubleshooting and produces a solution to the problem many times."

"Guy i hear ya on aggravating

"Guy i hear ya on aggravating the wife
lol.gif
she just give me a tounge lashing lastnight. she said everytime i turn around your on that forum. my sm/ass reply was got some good lookin boat ornaments on here
rofl.gif
"

Back