Logo

Flooded 43 merc

lineman

My kids decided to "do me

My kids decided to "do me a favor" & put in my drain plug. Needless to say this week when i went to change the oil the boat was full of water. The oil was full of water & I pulled a couple of spark plugs & they were rusty. So is there any hope or does this mean the engine will have to be rebuilt?

"how long was it under ?

dr

"how long was it under ?

drain the engine, refill with fresh oil, get some WD-40, pull all the spark plugs, spray the heck of the cylinders, and use the starter to turn the engine over, then put the plugs in and fire it up."

"it was under for apparently a

"it was under for apparently a couple of months. I pulled the plugs & sprayed with penetrating oil & finally got the crank to turn a little by hand, rocked it back & forth a few times & finally got it to turn all the way over a couple of times. had to change the starter. I'm all out of blood, sweat & tears so i'll wait till tomorrow to try to start it"

"couple months, i'm concer

"couple months, i'm concerned there's rust on the cylinders where the pistons were sitting, could cause damage to the piston rings.

How high was the water ? how did it get in the engine ?

I might be inclined to spray some rust breaker in there to..

Good luck"

"Yeah, i'm sure there is r

"Yeah, i'm sure there is rust in the cylinders. The water didnt get above the intake so i guess it got in though the oil dipstick. Im gonna fill the cylinders again with penetrating oil to try & work some more rust lose before i try it with the starter. Would there be any harm in filling the whole engine with oil top to bottom to work everything lose?"

"that's a lot of oil, I th

"that's a lot of oil, I think filling the engine wouldn't be a good idea, as the pistons would need to move the oil around as the crank turns, and if you put the plugs in with oil above the pistons could bend a rod. Oil will coat the lower end again onces it's running."

"I never run across this so do

"I never run across this so don't know but could you use fogging oil to help coat thinks along with PB blaster, maybe take the plugs out to make turning by hand easier?"

""...PB blaster, maybe tak

""...PB blaster, maybe take the plugs out to make turning by hand easier?"

I second gl115's suggestion; douche each cylinder w/a good amount and let it sit overnight."

"totally take all the plugs ou

"totally take all the plugs out, fogging oil is a great idea, turn it over then spray again, let it sit.. as GL115 and Guy said.."

"wooohooo!! Thanks guys, just

"wooohooo!! Thanks guys, just came back in the house. IT STARTED! I thought it was toast. It is still running a little rough but it is running better each time i start it."

Back