Logo

90 HP dies when put in gear

gneg1056

"1984 90 HP E90TLCR. Starts an

"1984 90 HP E90TLCR. Starts and runs fine at idle, will run as long as you want at 2000 - 2500 rpm using fast idle lever, but will die when put in gear if given any throttle. Carbs have been rebuilt and are clean, replaced vro pump with new fuel only pump. (pump is for '83 90 hp, it bolts right on over the pulse hole, Sierra p/n 18-7352). Also new fuel line connectors, all hose clamps and fuel connections are tight. Squeeze the bulb to pressurize system, no fuel leaks anywhere, bulb stays hard. Engine seems to run ok at low or high idle under no load but dies in gear. Any suggestions? Thanks..."

"Start with the basics....

"Start with the basics....

Check compression. 100+

Check spark. Must jump 7/16" gap.

Check timing and link/sync. Probably 28btdc. max Find Joe Reeves cranking speed test in the archives. There were many different linkages, but usually a mark on the lever that must be aligned with the throttle roller as they just touch.

Check idle speed with boat in water. 650 in gear. 800 or so neutral.

Check to make sure prop/shaft isn't tangled with rope or fishing line etc.

Check to make sure gearcase isn't seized. Take spark plugs out, put motor in gear. Turn over with socket wrench on flywheel nut."

"Mr. Dcramer...

Thank you f

"Mr. Dcramer...

Thank you for your advice to start by checking the basics.

I wanted to post back and report the results of my investigation.

Pulled the plugs to check compression, all cylinders showing 115 psi. Then checked spark, good spark on port cylinders, no spark at all on starboard side. Now we're on to something. Checked wiring from coils back to power pack, ok. Then from power pack back to under flywheel, found connector not securely connected, was loose. Pushed connector together, fastened with a good solid click. Rechecked spark, now real good spark on all four plugs. Put everything back together, engine started right up real easy. Took boat out to lake today for test run, started easy and ran real good.

So keep in mind the "KISS" concept, "Keep It Simple Stupid". Sometimes you get lucky and find an easy solution to the problem.

Also, "Thanks Very Much" to Morten and Joe for all your help and advice earlier during this rebuild adventure of mine."

Back