Logo

75 HP SearsTed Williams Outboard

tatro

I was recently given a 7.5 hp

I was recently given a 7.5 hp Sears/Ted Williams outboard. Ser. # is 217-58890 and other number (model??) is 3A-173938. Wondering what oil mixture to use? and what year motor might be? Read some posts and found conflicting info re oil mixtures and whether or not to use outboard oil or lawnmower type 2 cyle oil. Help please.

Put in chainsaw oil. This engi

Put in chainsaw oil. This engine is primarily an air cooled. 32/1. It does have a water pump. That keeps the bottom seal and bearing alive. It spritzes just a little water from the exhaust relief ports. If it is not doing that you NEED a water pump.

There were 2 basic designs in water pumps- the tall feathery one and the mercury 6 hp one- but that one had 2 shaft sizes just .015 thou difference. or so- enough so the tight one breaks if you try to force it.

There really is a reason everybody posting starts with "I was given this motor" They were very hard to work on and had some really strange engineering in this motor. Knowing nothing about outboards actually helps you work on these.

Ihave a 4.5hp Ted Williams mot

Ihave a 4.5hp Ted Williams motor model#21759464. Can anyone tell me what year it is ?

Back