Logo

190 omc need help replacing transom seal

dwb1013

Can anybody help me with this?

Can anybody help me with this? I am wondering if I really have to take the outdrive off to replace the seal. I saw some places that they thought you could apply soapy water and remove prop and squeeze it over the outdrive. This sounds like a lot easier but i want to make sure it really works and doesn't ruin the new seal in the process....they are around a 100.00 bucks.....any help I can get would sure be appreciated.....Its on a 1976 slickcraft ss235 so if you are a slickcraft owner and done this I would love to hear from you (even if you haven't done it I would love to hear from ya)!

"Dennis, Yes you can replace t

"Dennis, Yes you can replace the seal without taking the outdrive off and in fact you don't need to take the prop of either. A good idea is to heat the rubber first either in hot water or by letting it lay in the sun for a while to make it easier. Just be careful not to tear it when putting it on so just take your time. You should also use a water proof sealant when attaching the metal ring to ensure no leaks. Also you can buy these for around $60. Here is a link:
http://www.marine-bellows.com/imc080.htm"

"i agree to the reply, i have

"i agree to the reply, i have done it, make sure the arrow is on the bottom pointed down and you see it when in position. 3m 5200 would be a good sealent, 4200 also can be bought in any wal-mart."

Back