Logo

2006 25HP 4 Stroke

kevinm1121

Just bought a used inflatable

Just bought a used inflatable w/ a Yamaha 25HP 4 stroke. It starts but runs real rough at idle. It stalls out in idle. You can only shift on a higher RPM. I was told this could harm the lower unit. It's still under warrantee. I brought it to a local Yamaha repair center. They told me it was a fuel problem due to gas sitting in carb. They're not covering this under warrantee because it's a "fuel problem". They say I need a brand new carb (300.00) plus 200.00 in labor to install. Can I clean the carb myself? Or are they telling my the truth that it can't be fixed or cleaned.

Take it to another shop or do

Take it to another shop or do it yourself. It is really a pretty simple repair. Sounds like an idle jet is plugged. The entire carb should not need replaced unless there is more to the story.

Would just spraying carb clean

Would just spraying carb cleaner into the carb do the trick. There doesn't seem to be any repair manuels for this engine yet.

"You can try spraying carb cle

"You can try spraying carb cleaner and hope that it works. It certainly won't hurt anything. A manual is always helpful, but a small motor like yours is relatively simple to work on. I would almost bet anything that you need to pull the jets and blow out a little bit of gunk stuck in them with carb cleaner. This site is great, however the web site below has plenty of exploded diagrams if you need visual aids. Just look up your particular model.

http://www.boats.net/"

"If its fuel problem caused by

"If its fuel problem caused by stale or dirty fuel you have a dirty carb and a good cleaning will resolve it. Try doing it yourself just strip it down, clean/blow it out and reassemble Why would a dirty carb need to be replaced if it has no physical damage?"

Back