Logo

Fuel pump

"Marine Parts has this one....

"Marine Parts has this one.........

284335.jpg
fuel pump

Whew pricy! Ok lets make sure

Whew pricy! Ok lets make sure my pump is bad.
I have a clear line that comes from the carb to the pump that has fuel in it constantly while running the motor. This is not the main feed line to the carb. According to what I understand that means the diagphram is leaking in the fuel pump. right? This is the motor that I have gas in my oil also. Changed the oil and it has gas in it again after running the motor only one time.

"Ah, your leak detector has wo

"Ah, your leak detector has worked! I've not seen a rebuild kit for these, so you do need a new one."

Would this explain the gas in

Would this explain the gas in my engine oil? Supposedly this is a new pump its all gold and shiny. I wonder if the previous owner bought an automotive pump.Would an automotive pump be different that a marine pump?

"Yes, it could explain the gas

"Yes, it could explain the gas in your oil. The carb is flooding and when the engine is turned off the flood gas is draining into the cylinders, past the pistons...

A sticking float or needle and seat would also cause this.

If the fuel in the oil is from a bad carb adjustment, you are likely ruining the ring seals and getting way to much wear on the cylinders. You really need to look into this as it could be a serious problem.

It sounds like it is a marine pump....automotive pumps do not have the clear plastic feedback line.

Make sure the carb is adjusted and working OK. If the Carb is flooding, it may not be the fuel pump...but I'm a novice mechanic and I'm sure there are more qualified "guloink" mechanics here and they will advise.
happy.gif

"guloink" ----the sound any tool makes as it drops from your grasp and disappears into the water
biggrin.gif
"

"The marine pump has a hose ba

"The marine pump has a hose barb on the dry side of the diaphram. There may be a connection thru the pump into the crank, not sure about that. That would explain your oil dilution with gas.

Small planes with Lycoming engines and such have a procedure in very cold weather to dilute the oil with gas, in order to provide thinning to allow starting. I've always thought that was pretty edgey. But, that is one example of wanting gas in the oil.."

"Chuck:

the pump needs to b

"Chuck:

the pump needs to be changed. The fuel is getting into the oil thru several possible paths - all not good for the engine or your safety.

IF you have a good auto supply nearby, they should be able to get you the AIRTEX marine grade pump for ~$100. Ebay may be cheaper. CARTER is another brand that is known to work."

"..."Small planes with Lyc

"..."Small planes with Lycoming engines and such have a procedure in very cold weather to dilute the oil with gas, in order to provide thinning to allow starting."

In WW II it was called Whitworth Oil Dilution, a barbaric process that allowed RR Merlin V-12s and other RAF engines to be started in cold weather. Pure gasoline was introduced to 'lubricate' the bearings just before the hot engines were shut off. When restarted, the oil was eventually replaced the gas. Yikes!

Jeff"

Back