Logo

Starter woes

"yes sir...everythng looks goo

"yes sir...everythng looks good! I am truly stumped!! I am beggining to think its the starter...any way to bench test it with a load??? There is power to the big stud all the time, and to the starter stud when I turn the key. Yet I still get a "click" when i turn thekey and nothing else. When I started to romp the starter with my foot as I tunred the key it gave a very low turn over, sounded like it was really struggling..."

"sounds like the starter is no

"sounds like the starter is not grounded to the block. Optimally, the face of the starter grounds to the block, thru the bellhousing. Could be the bellhousing is not conductive to the block, again loose bolts or paint in the way. Can you take a jumper cable and ground the starter ear to the neg battery post?"

Dave! Just grounded the back o

Dave! Just grounded the back of the starter hub tothe battery. Got again a futile weak turn then a click. Def. not grounded I would presume. Also could be the battery?

"Ted,
as a last resort...swap

"Ted,
as a last resort...swap batteries...you did say it had a full charge but perhaps it has loose plates and you can't get a full draw.

This info relates to a car starter but would apply to a boat starter....a boat starter is just sealed to eliminate open sparking.....this will give you some good reading...if you didn't already know this stuff.

http://www.misterfixit.com/starttst.htm"

"Back of the hub is suboptimum

"Back of the hub is suboptimum. You need to ground close to the mounting bolts/studs. The hub is barely grounded to the internals thru small bolts, I think.
Is the battery charged? At least 10 volts across the battery, DURING starting attempts?"

"alright. When I kick the star

"alright. When I kick the starter, I get a weak start, not enough to do any good. Also selenoid had a little smoke come out of it...(assuming not good).

I am getting exhuasted, thinking this might have to start back up in the AM unless I get anotther idea from you guys. Thank you all so much!!!"

"Am I the only one that think

"Am I the only one that think his motor is locked up inside? Like it has water in a cylinder or two?

Hope I'm wrong, but...

Jeff"

"Jeff,

I thought that too.

"Jeff,

I thought that too. I pulled one plug on the outboard side, was normal. Pulled all inboard side, all fine. I don't think that its the problem. As it was weak before when the engine ran (got it going when the son smacked it with a hammer when I turned the key) Th enegines sounded absolutely GREAT. Acid washed the oil cooler and heat xchanger. Col temps. Clean oil. Clean normal blackish plugs.....

bahjgshg I'm going to bed."

"Prolly time to take the start

"Prolly time to take the starter to a shop. It is possible that the starter is weak, armature issue, commutator, etc. Just plain low torque.
Best to monitor with a voltmeter across the starter to verify voltage first, but the starter overhaul is not a big investment."

"Ted:

When you cleaned out

"Ted:

When you cleaned out the back of the starter, did you 1) check the brushes for free movement in their holders & 2) clean out the gaps in the commutator? If not, either can be driving you whacky.

If the solenoid smoked, I'd replace it. It may be faster (but less educational) to find a shop and ask them to rebuild it.

The carbon and junk in between the commutator segments will keep the brushes from making contact with the commutator (same for sticky brush holders). The end result is everything appearing correct on the outside with no rotation. If you opt to clean it, use a toothpick or anything plastic - no metal."

"Ted
You've been doing gr

"Ted
You've been doing great. Here is a little more input.
some of this may sound a little unorthodox but,

284379.jpg

1). clip the test light to battery ground (A) and touch the probe to the lug on the starter motor (B). Turn the key to the crank position, light should light.

2). Now move the probe to the starter motor housing (C). Turn the key to the crank position, light should NOT light.
(this was to check that the starter motor had a good ground).

3). Now just to be redundant, clip the test light to battery + (D) and touch the probe to the starter motor housing (C). The light should be on.
Turn the key to the crank position, the light should remain on.
(this also checks that the starter motor had a good ground).

If all of the above holds true, the starter motor itself is NOT doing the job. Take the rear plate off again & make sure that the brushes move freely in their holders, & that the springs are applying ample pressure to hold the brushes against the starter motor armature.

The slow speed turning / growling of the starter is characteristic of a low voltage problem. Not necessarily the fault of the battery, but possibly the brushes not conducting current to the armature.

Fred 156-M"

"if i was working on this i wo

"if i was working on this i would turn crankshaft to make sure it is not locked up,then i'd swap batt. then i would ckek cable connections,pos and neg, then i would replace starter"

"Hey Jim,
In my experience, i

"Hey Jim,
In my experience, if the engine was locked, the starter would give a hard clunk, when the starter drive (Bendix) engaged, the battery voltage would drop off of the chart, and you would be able to fry an egg on the starter motor housing after 3 or 4 try's.

Fred 156-M"

well i gave up and dropped it

well i gave up and dropped it off at an old timers shop to have it rebuilt. should be done by 3!!

"Been a VW tech for thirty fiv

"Been a VW tech for thirty five years have seen many strange things but you are right the starter would get hot. Not sure what he knows, what kind of equipment he has, just trying by process of elemination.Shouldnt be that hard to find problem"

"problem solved! Had the start

"problem solved! Had the starter rebuilt in 3 hours for 90 bucks. Whole inside was rusted, all new pieces. Turned over like a champion! Off to the water front bar via BIG BOAT! woohoo. Thank you all for the help! This board is just awesome!"

"Now you have better understan

"Now you have better understanding, and I lot of preventive maintenance in your pocket.

Happy boating

Fred 156-M"

Back