Logo

Rotor button bent

agitator

Contributing Member
Going back thru my engine yest

Going back thru my engine yesterday I pulled the distributor cap off and the metal tab on the rotor button was bent to one side. This is not the first time I've found that.It happened with the old cap and button. This one is new. The cap fits snuggly with no play. The button fits tight. The distributor shaft doesn't seem to have any play at least from trying to wiggle it. Any ideas on what might cause that? Seems to run fine. Its a reverse rotating LM318. Will a stock automotive distributor fit? It is not electronic...I'm thinking a warped shaft but have never heard of that happening.
Thanks

".."Will a stock automotiv

".."Will a stock automotive distributor fit? "

No--it lacks the special thrust bearing. Not legal either.

Do you have the right rotor in there? Seriously. Two styles were made. (See photo.) One rotor has the spring on it, while the other has the spring built into the cap. The rotor with the spring was the one for MY boat. Yours could be the other one. THe cap on MINE is held down by screws. The other kind uses spring clips.

Jeff

284320.jpg
"

"Jeff, I have the top one. The

"Jeff, I have the top one. The spring contact is what is getting bent to the side. My cap clamps with a spring clip. I don't remember the center of my cap having a spring.. I think its solid."

"Got a part number for the rot

"Got a part number for the rotor. My cap clamps down, not screws so I think its right."

"Jeff... Still scratching my h

"Jeff... Still scratching my head over his rotor button and cap thing. IF... IF... this is the correct combo, could excess end play let the shaft ride up high enough to bend the spring? If so, would that change my timing/dwell and cause me to not turn as many RPMs as I should?"

"Note that the OD of the rotor

"Note that the OD of the rotors are not the same as well. A small OD rotor in a large ID cap will work lousy (ah-hem!) Also, are you sure the cap is going on seating properly?

Jeff"

"OD!! Nope didn't pick tha

"OD!! Nope didn't pick that up. Just left the boat. The cap fits good and tight. No wobbles, clips hold good... I have the larger diameter rotor. I can lift the dist. shaft .025 (just guessing, of course) but that doesn't look like it would hurt too much. There's slight side to side movement.. .003 - .004. Found an old cap and rotor in the engine compartment. Looks like the one I got. I had to replace the last cap because the button broke off. Something's amiss!!"

The button should be fixed tig

The button should be fixed tightly in position in the cap. The one that broke off is the spring deal that goes with the rotor WITHOUT the spring. You have an incorrect match here.

Jeff

"Once again Jeff proves his br

"Once again Jeff proves his brilliance! There are two cap/rotor button combos. One has a spring in the cap and a fixed rotor button, the other has a fix button in the cap and a spring rotor. I imagine either will work in the right combo BUT I had both spring cap and spring rotor. That will not work. I changed the rotor button and WOW what a difference. Thanks again!"

Spent yesterday afternoon on t

Spent yesterday afternoon on the water and went back early this morning... NOTHING BROKE!!!! Everything worked like a champ... came home to mow the yard and a wheel fell off!!!!!!! I'm going back out on the boat!!

Back