Logo

43 Electronic Ignition Conversion

watson

"What all is involved in switc

"What all is involved in switching to Electronic Ignition? Is Pertronix the way to go? I looked on marineengine and it seems they only have kits for V8s, where can I get what I need? Is this switch a recommended upgrade or just more problems to chase?"

"I switched my 2.3 , 4cylinder

"I switched my 2.3 , 4cylinder this spring, and hae had no problems, i had points problems in the past. Performance is slightly better, But most important, it starts up every time. I got the hight output coil also and new plug wires, and set my sparkplug gap higher, was at 35, now at 45, was told I could go up to 50"

"[b]"Is this switch a reco

""Is this switch a recommended upgrade"
Some folks say yes it is.
"or just more problems to chase?"
Some folks say yes it is. Search previous threads and you will many discussions on this, some quite long.
Here's my advice Glenn, You need to nail down the problem before jumping to the Pertronix. Your new engine should run fine with the points. There is something amiss,(so to speak) just got to find it.
Question, was it running fine when you put it up for the winter? Did the problem arise when you took it out of "lay-up"?
By the way, I'm not advising against Pertronix. I run one myself and highly recommend it. Just think you need to be sure where your problem lies first......
"

"Chuck< that was exactly w

"Chuck< that was exactly what lead me to finnaly switch. It ran fine when I winterized it, but come spring it wouldnt start, took emory board to points, started,, then switched to conversion."

"That's whats got me confu

"That's whats got me confused. If I think back, the boat was running OK, but I was being very easy on it, trying to break it in as thoroughly as possible. The idle seemed a little off, but it ran well. I will be putting the new points, condensor, cap and rotor on by this weekend so I guess that will tell if they are the problem. What do you think the eratic tach incicates and is it related to the rest of the "issues"? Sorry, I'm just really getting frustrated."

I have a new 4.3 Pertronix Ign

I have a new 4.3 Pertronix Ignitor I in my desk drawer. It's the old 1563. I think they discontinued it.
email if you need one.

"Check the negative post on th

"Check the negative post on the coil for good clean connections (for the tach) then I would also take the damn 10 pin cannon connector apart and clean it. If you've replaced the engine then it's been apart and my experience has been that some of those go back together beautifully while others I can only describe with words that I can't use on here! Also there is usually a hose clamp that goes around it to keep it together, sometimes they are loose and other times I think a gorilla tightened them down causing other problems."

"Good news!! I got all the new

"Good news!! I got all the new ignition stuff put in today and she's running beautifully. Changed the coil, cap, plugs, points, condensor and rotor. Any idea on the settings for the idle mix screws? It's the holley 2 barrel, they were out 1.5 turns and I put them in a half turn because the old plugs were black and carboned up. It idles much smoother now too. Anybody know what the base setting is supposed to be for those screws?

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!!!!!"

Back