Logo

Need help with engine choices

2shibas

I'm looking at two boats a

I'm looking at two boats and having a hard time deciding. The first boat is an '03 with a 3.0 litre inboard Mercruiser. The second is a '96 with a Mercury jet drive. I'd like to know the pros and cons of each engine. Thank you for your help.

Is it the engine choice you ne

Is it the engine choice you need to make? The 3.0L is a solid little power plant easy on fuel but can not be altered to increase HP performance.

The 96 jet drive? What engine is powering the JD? It probably has been run to hell and back over the last 14 years.

"The 3.0 sounds pretty good, e

"The 3.0 sounds pretty good, especially with gas prices creeping back up. Is it pretty reliable and are parts still readily available?

The jet drive is a 110 or 120hp unit. I've heard that jet drives use quite a bit of gas. Is that true? How about the reliability on this engine and repair costs? Thanks again"

Personal opinion..........Stay

Personal opinion..........Stay away from the jet drive!!

It is a outboard in sheeps clothing.

Outboards are to finiky for me!!
My personal feeling is the I/O 3.0 would be your most reliable boat. It does take some tlc and proper maitenance but it will out last the jet boat by a min of 10-20 years!!

"3.0L is a great engine, even

"3.0L is a great engine, even if you crack the block can JB Weld and be back on water cheaply, compared to V6's and V8s, as there are lots of those IRON DUKE's out there.. there should be parts for many years."

Back