Logo

How big of bilge pump do i need

tlc19641982

"hello all ,i have a 20ft caju

"hello all ,i have a 20ft cajun with a 200hp johnson, the bilge pump was a manual 650 pump and it finally went out, it was in the boat when i bought it. i want to upgrade to an automatic pump, i have seen 2 types, one with a built in float switch and the other with a seperate float switch. what type should i go with, how big of a pump and what brand is better?
thanks
dee"

"I'd say 650 is min and 10

"I'd say 650 is min and 1000 would be ideal. the reality is your existing wire and the hose will only support a given size pump. I'd go as large as possible within those constraints.

I prefer the separate switch - you have the option of replacing it if it goes bad. If space permits, you can consider it.

Rule and Attwood have been around for decades. Like any other mass produced item, you get a bad sample on occasion. I've always experienced great customer support from both on issues with new items."

"thanks for fast reply, i thin

"thanks for fast reply, i think i will go with a 1000 and a separate switch, like u said if it goes out i can just replace the switch.

thanks again
have a great day
dee"

I have a 22 ft Seasport and ha

I have a 22 ft Seasport and have a 2000GPH main pump and a 1500 GPH backup. I also have a washdown pump which I can switch an inline valve and use as a bilge pump if needed. Also carry a manual pump. Every boat owner should look at the stern of their boat and make a realistic determination of how much water that space would hold if a big greenie filled it. How fast would you want to get rid of it in rough seas.

As a marine engineer and owner

As a marine engineer and owner of a 52 sailing yacht there is 2 things you cannot have too many of; that's anchors and bilge pumps. The arrangement that "Rollie Rose" posted would be the way I would go on a 22 ft. You must keep in mind that you should a separate battery bank called a house bank that can run the pumps for an extended period. You do not want to run your engine start battery down. An auto/manual switch for each pump with a light is a must. Keep the bilge clean of crap that can plug the pump. Last but not least get in a habit of manually testing the pump so that you can hear and see that it is working. I am a bit excessive compulsive when it comes to testing the pumps. If you go off shore you may want to add a high level alarm.
A year ago during a night passage from Cartagena to San Blas a through hull fitting blew and since I was at the helm did not know it until the high water alarm went off. It alerted me and I did a temporary fix until I reached an anchorage. The problem was only a nuisance but could have been a disaster.
Happy safe sailing.

Back