Logo

Why does fuse keep blowing

cmconstant

"The gear on top of the starte

"The gear on top of the starter was chewed up last year, so i replaced it, and also replaced the starter switch. Now the 20A fuse going to the starter/solenoid keeps blowing. Sometimes will start a couple times, but fuse blows after once or twice? Its an early mid90s johnson 25 horse
Help please!"

"i would go back,to that start

"i would go back,to that starter sw,thinking,u have a wire close,or touching,intermittently..switch,loose,allowing it to rotate?"

"Other causes for the fuses to

"Other causes for the fuses to blow .burned out soleniod, shorted solenoid coil, coil rating starter drawing to many amps on top of the other possibilities stated"

"The fuse you speak of is fusi

"The fuse you speak of is fusing the accessory circuit power supply. This wire draws power from the positive battery cable on the starter solonoid. It powers the starter switch, warning circuit, choke etc. It may or may not power all other accessories also, depending on how these things were installed. It is best if this circuit is limited to the starter switch, warning circuit and choke. Other accessories should draw from a fuse panel which draws from the positive battery terminal.

The fuse blows because one of the accesories on the circuit is shorting or drawing too much, or the wire itself is shorting in the harness, remote box, or on the engine. The starter itself does not go through this fuse. It draws directly from the battery via the solonoid. This secondary circuit of the solonoid is never fused, or should not be.

You should be able to isolate the problem with a simple multi-meter."

Back