Logo

Thread repairs on 280 outdrive top Dipstick Oil fill hole

fbfrmkd

"Are there any thread repair k

"Are there any thread repair kits for the Dipstick / Oil fill hole on a volvo 280 outdrive? How do I reseal the top housing when I remove it to repair the threads. I do not want to leave any aluminum filing in the drive if I am successful with a thread repair. (what pitch is this thread?) Any sources of used top plates if I am unable to repair this? The previous owner had it silicone shut, and the oil looked good when I drained it. (Not certain it ever was in the water since it's last change though)"

"If you're not sure of how

"If you're not sure of how to do the repair, ebay motors and craigslist may be a good source of replacements. There are quite a few of the 280's out there so you should be able to find a replacement. Not sure if a repair is the best way to go in this instance but if you feel like attempting a repair, remove the cover before you do any drilling. You can use the dipstick as a guide to determine the thread size and pitch and then use a helicoil - the directions come with the kit."

"Any different top cap will re

"Any different top cap will require new shimming. This is a critical shimming process that needs to be done.

The threads are an American STD 3/8" course thread..... but here's the kicker... this is a thread insert that was originally in there.
You could see if a machine shop can install a new insert for you.

If you replace this top cap, be sure to perfom the shimming process. This would require some additional shims... thickness yet to be determined.
It also requires a special Volvo Penta gasket and two O rings.

BTW, this is NOT your oil fill location on this 280 drive. (See your OEM manual!... Don't have one??? Get one!)"

"Thanks for the feedback. If I

"Thanks for the feedback. If I go with a used housing, how do I know what shims to use? Is there a pre-load measurement before tightening down? (My apologies on incorrectly stating oil fill location also :-() Would I have a problem if I just silicon this shut, and refill with 2.8 qts of oil each year? I would loose the ability to check the level, but that is not a big concern. The boat is stored on a trailer, and will be used infrequently."

"First of all, the frequency o

"First of all, the frequency or in-frequency of usage should not influence certain preventative maintenance procedures. Some components wear or go bad via Father Time, not necessarily actual usage.
Raw Water pump impeller, for example....... once installed in the pump housing, it's on it's way out..... whether being used daily or once a year...... rubber takes a set, and then no longer performs as it should.
I know that we're not talking impellers here..... but the oil and quantity and quality of this oil needs to be periodically checked via this top cap dip stick.
A small amount of water intrusion gone un-noticed may cause some damage.

I'd say "No" to the silicone fix.... not good! (Why do some of us treat our boats so poorly?) Correct the problem by doing a proper repair. Find a cap, clean it up, learn how to shim it, Done!
Make sure that you have identified your transmission correctly before buying a cap.

As for the shimming.... shoot me an email...... I can explain a relatively simple method whereby you need not calculate the value using the codes set forth in the OEM manual...... in fact, it's a preferred method.... very simple.
Have either a dial indicator caliper or a 0-1" micrometer and feeler gauge set at hand....... those along with some various shims, new OEM gasket, drain plug/dip stick O rings, hollow bolt O ring.

."

Back