Logo

Oil pressure alarm

jimmyt

"I have 2002 - 8.1 Crusader en

"I have 2002 - 8.1 Crusader engine with Multiport fuel injection. On a recent trip the engine ran great until I stopped for gas. When I re-started the engine, the oil pressure alarm and dash light went off. The oil pressure guage read normal. I stopped the engine and checked the oil, everything was ok. I restarted the engine again - the alarm would not stop - I got the boat back to my slip. The engine has less than 200 hours and I change the oil and filter every season. Has anyone had this problem with this type of engine? Any thoughts on what might be the problem?"

"You have a bad "idiot lig

"You have a bad "idiot light" switch. Replaced several on mine, and others have had the same complaint. Look for a switch in the oil pressure circuit (probably near the oil filter). The switch is a round gizmo that screws into the block (or etc.) There will be one or more wires going to it, depending on the design.

Caution: Don't confuse it with the oil pressure sending unit for the gage. They look kinda alike. Disconnecting the switch will stop the alarm from going off. The alarm will continue sounding if the pressure sender unit it disconnected.

Jeff"

"Here's what the thing loo

"Here's what the thing looks like on Chryslers. Yours may be different looking.

Jeff

284293.jpg
"

"Ya know, I've had so many

"Ya know, I've had so many of these fail over the years, that I now run the 1/4" spade version. It allows a faster change, going only by feel, on a hot engine, at sea...Also, it makes it impossible to accidently swap the wire from the sensor, located nearby. Dropping that non-magnetic brass nut in the bilge is no fun either... Just another random idea."

"Personally, I hate spade conn

"Personally, I hate spade connectors! They get loose (mysterious bad connectios) and often fall off. Other than that, they're just fine!

Jeff"

Jeff:

Next time you have to

Jeff:

Next time you have to deal with a spade connector. try covering with "liquid neoprene" (better version of the "liquid tape". All my VDO gauges experienced the issues you described. The fix has allowed them to be mostly 'issue free' for a couple of decades now.

"I agree. I've gone on re

"I agree. I've gone on record here as also hating spade connectors. Last year, I replaced a couple of Stewart Warner gauges (studs) with VDO (spades) and was dissapointed. No failures yet, but I hope they don't propogate thruout the boat..."

Back