Logo

1979 Sears Canada Gamefisher 15 outboard

madmax65

Would anyone be able to tell m

Would anyone be able to tell me what the fuel/oil ratio would be for a 1979 Sears Canada Gamefisher 15 outboard?

"Don that will be an Eska buil

"Don that will be an Eska built model with a Tecumseh twin cylinder powerhead - basically just a lawnmower engine.

The Tecumseh engine is a model 383A (should you ever need parts, that number at a small engine place will help you out).

You can mix this at 24:1 with regular 2 cycle motor oil (such as used with lawnmowers/chainsaws) - don't use outboard TCW3 oil it will burn up too quickly - meant for water cooled powerheads.

If you find it blows alot of smoke at 24:1 you try moving that ratio a bit but would not go leaner than 40:1 at the absolute max."

"That motor was actually water

"That motor was actually water cooled and will run "TCW". The 24/1 mix is right as this engine had a drilled crankshaft instead of reed valves and depended on good main bearings and oil viscosity to run right. It's delicate cdi bolted under the flywheel with 2 white coils on the cylinder head was susceptible to heat damage --so a good water pump was important. These coils could not be disconnected and spin the engine W/O ruining the CDI. When I worked on them, I would solder the slide on connectors so they would not come off.

Sorry to get so wordy, but these were a real unusual motor with lots of faults."

"Thanks William, forgot that t

"Thanks William, forgot that the 15 and some 9.9's were water cooled - usually answering questions about the smaller singles..."

"If it makes you feel any bett

"If it makes you feel any better, they did make a 9.9 single aircooled under the Sea King banner. Was a wards motor and had the one and only full shift lower unit in the whole production line. Also came in an identical looking 7.5."

Back