"Yet another Noob question...

"Yet another Noob question...

I have 2003 5.7 / 300 HP Crusaders. Are these:

1) "Vortec" heads?

2) Roller rockers?

Thanks,

JD"

1. Could be. Look for intake

1. Could be. Look for intake manifold bolts that go straight down.

2. No. Regular type.

Jeff

"Most likely Vortec heads - lo

"Most likely Vortec heads - look at the intake bolts. On each side, if there are two in the fron and two in the back, they're vortec.

Jeff's right - no rollers."

"Is that a negative on roller

"Is that a negative on roller lifters also? I don't know myself, but thought that was one of the mitigating factors for the newer oils."

"Dave:

The question asked a

"Dave:

The question asked about the rockers. My data shows the classic arm, ball, and nut so NO roller rocker arms.

Your question is a new one. Again, my data shows that answer to be YES; roller lifters in the 2003 5.7l carbed crusaders."

"Thanks guys! I am FAR from e

"Thanks guys! I am FAR from expert in things small block and Chevy!

So they MAY be roller lifters?

Does this then mitigate the need for the zinc additive?

Thanks,

JD"

The parts list IDs them as ROL

The parts list IDs them as ROLLER LIFTERs.

(I'm much more fluent in the older stuff.)

I'll defer to Dave on the additive but I believe there's no need for the zinc.

"Those lifter rollers are an i

"Those lifter rollers are an important ingredient in reducing shearing friction. There may also be a different oil pump design to reduce shearing as well, but I haven't poked into one yet.
The valve tip to rocker arm shear is small by comparison. Together, the engines folks have reduced the need for high zinc and phosphorus lubes."

And the oil manufactures have

And the oil manufactures have taken most of it out of their oil--damn their hides!

Jeff

"Somebody root caused this who

"Somebody root caused this whole thing to the US congress and/or the EPA. Apparently, the EPA mandates a minimum lifetime of emission components on new cars. This means most cat convertors need to last 100k miles. This means engines can't be sending it burned up zinc and phosphorus compounds. This means the engine companies had an influence on SM rated gas oils. This means the lube companies reduced these anti-wear ingredients. This then, meant that the engine companies went to anti-shear engines, like the rollers, etc. So, meanwhile, those with legacy engines get to scramble."

"True, but most boats don'

"True, but most boats don't have a cat converter. Typical that the marine industry was totally ignored when making these decisions.

Jeff"

Back