Logo

1991 Johnson 100

jsnsgt

"I recently aquired a 18ft boa

"I recently aquired a 18ft boat with, i believe, a 1991 johnson 100 outboard. the engine sat for over 2 years and after thouroughly cleaning the carb, it still wont idle properly. it will stay running if i manually hold the butterflies on the carb open. one of the fuel lines that runs from what i think is the fuel pump to the top of the carb is clear, and i can see air bubbles running through the line with the fuel....i'm guessing thats my problem but i'm not sure...this is my first marine engine so i'm still trying to learn....any help would be much appreciated... thanks"

"hi--and welcome,there r many,

"hi--and welcome,there r many,..highly qualified,techs on here....we get bored too!
i would not worry,about air,at this point,in fuel line....its gonna have some...period...
do this--- ck spark--ck compression--and then,go to fuel delivery....this eliminates,a larger prob.
What,exactly,do u mean---'wont idle' properly...it may be,...that it is just,idling,..TOO slow,..very common.."

sorry its been so long....been

sorry its been so long....been away...i have good spark...and compression...the engine runs great if i hold the butterflies open manually and it dies as soon as i let go...

i guess what i'm asking is

i guess what i'm asking is....is there a way to adjust the idle by opening up the butterflies? I mean i just barely have to apply pressure to the roller that opens both sets of butterflies for the thing to idle right around 900-1000rpm. i have noticed that there are screws on the arms that connect the butterflies...but i dont want to just get in there and start adjusting things not knowing what they are...

Back