Logo

6hp mercury outboard

rainbow

I just bought a 1989 6hp merc.

I just bought a 1989 6hp merc. There was no manual with it and was wondering what the oil to gas mixture would be per 5 gallons of gas and what type of oil could you use. Would a synthetic blend be allright. Thanks

"Mix would be 50:1 - my math i

"Mix would be 50:1 - my math is bad, but fortunately there is usually a chart on the back of the oil bottle - just under 1/2 a quart to a 5 gallon tank.

Synthetic would be fine but not necessary with this motor - although, a little motor doesn't use a great deal of oil even over an entire season so if you want to pay the extra you really won't feel it in the wallet.

Since this motor is "new" to you, unless you are certain of it's prior maintenance, at minimum, I would replace the water pump impeller, change the lower gear oil and put in a new pair of spark plugs."

"I have finally installed the

"I have finally installed the motor on my boat and have started it up and it runs perfect. My question is , should there be a steady fast stream of water coming out the exhaust hole? Right now it is slow."

The flow of water will speed u

The flow of water will speed up as you "hit the throttle" - you are looking for "steady" not "fast" when you observe the tell tale stream...

Tried the motor out on the lak

Tried the motor out on the lake today and there isn't much if any difference in the stream of water coming out the hole when you hit the throttle in gear or idle. Any suggestions?

It is probably putting out it&

It is probably putting out it's max. Not to worry. Would look for spitting and intermittent. Then you will need a pump. Course you can always put your hand on the power head. They ran pretty cold.

One note- when you buy the water pump/ you will need the old one as they made 2 sizes which were nearly identical.

I was told the motor was a 198

I was told the motor was a 1988 or 89. The serial # is A719332 would you know if this is right from the #

"That's a Canadian serial

"That's a Canadian serial for a 1986 model...

However, the 1986 thru 1994 models were mechanically identical. So if the dealer had it in their showroom until say 1989, it would have been sold as a "new" 89 model. The year is not encoded in the serial which is simply a production number and contains no information in and of itself."

Back