Logo

Knock on my starboard engine

jrussell625

"I noticed a faint knock on my

"I noticed a faint knock on my port side 440 Chrysler 1982 engine. I just Purchased the boat and drove it on a 3 hour trip across Lake Erie this weekend. When I got to my home port I noticed the knock was louder. You can only here the knock under 1,000 RPMS as soon as I give it some gas the knock does away. Is that most likly a rod going bad. or can it be something else. if it is a rod is there anything I can do to prolong a engine rebuild? the engine is running great."

"Relax, Jeff! It' a bad s

"Relax, Jeff! It' a bad spring in the trans coupler or, if you're really lucky, merely a rough idle. Try improving the idle and see if that helps.

The other Jeff"

To be safe and know the engine

To be safe and know the engines a little better get a compression check. This will assure you of the basics of these engines and help in evaluating many problems.

It is and did happen that I ha

It is and did happen that I had a knock in the engine. There was a cracked ring and it was blowing by and popping the splash pan sounding like a knock. I had several race people look at it and they were bewildered. After the comp test and a bad check on one cylinder I dropped the pan and pulled the piston. cracked ring and scored the wall. That was one of my problems in the past 30 years of running 440's.

Back