Logo

Need Help Identifying my Motor

fmurphy1

"I bought a motor recently and

"I bought a motor recently and the guy claimed its a 1986. Its a Mercury Mariner 75 outboard. Its black and its got some orange stripes around the cover. There are four spark plugs and up by the fly wheel im guessing is the serial number: 72973. Its got electric start and trim and tilt. What I need to know is whether its a two or four stroke and if its two which i think it is, what is the appropriate gas/oil mixture ratio? Any help would really be appreciated as I am very new to boating and motors in general.
Thanks!"

Look on the transom mount for

Look on the transom mount for a tag. It will have the serial no. on it. Mixture is 50:1

Oh yeah if completely forgot!

Oh yeah if completely forgot! The motor has the old steering cable stuck in it we had to cut it. What's the best method for removal?

"Moreover, I can't get thi

"Moreover, I can't get this motor to start without putting gas in the spark plug holes. Is there anything anyone would recommend to try and get this thing started. I added some stabilizer/fuel system cleaner with my gas mixture but it didn't seem to help."

"Ok, sounds like you have pick

"Ok, sounds like you have picked up a motor that has been sitting for quite a while. 1985 model.

Confirm the compression is good and you have spark at all cylinders before you spend alot of time on this motor chasing your tail.

Seized parts are all dealt with the same way - try some "liquid wrench" or similar product and then beat the hell out of them - when that down work move on to using heat from a torch and a bigger mallet

Forget snake oil in a can - you need to pull, disassemble and rebuild the carbs - throw in new kits and most likely rebuild the fuel pump while you are at it.

Also, when all that's done, pull the lower unit and service the water pump - can maybe get away with an impeller but would really go with a whole service kit including seals/gaskets etc.

Then change the lower unit oil and get a couple new rubber gaskets for the fill/vent plug.

Then throw in some new sparkplugs and run some fresh gas.

An get at least a Selocs manual for this before you go at it with a screwdriver.

Buying a used motor most times means buying someone elses problem - if the motor was "great or perfect" they wouldn't have sold it in the first place...."

"Hi to all forum users, my fir

"Hi to all forum users, my first time here, heaps of helpful information. If Graham or one of the regulars could please help me it would be really appreciated.

I have a 40 hp Mariner Magnum O/B Serial no. OD2954444 I think it probably 1993 and made in the US, can you please help.

Also can you please advise what the weight in either kgs or lbs would be approx. it hass remote steering.

Thanks."

"Hello Neil, that's actual

"Hello Neil, that's actually a 1994, Mercury built model - nice motor.

These have a dry weight of 192 pounds or about 87 kilos (ELPTO model) - 10/15 pounds less if it's pull start or manual tilt."

"Thanks Graham for your help w

"Thanks Graham for your help with my query, much appreciated. Yes it's a great motor, no problems, performing really well after 15 yrs and 2 fastidious owners. Once again thanks and look forward to reading more in the forum."

Hi All Forum users. A Questio

Hi All Forum users. A Question for Graham or one of the knowledgeable regulars. I have a Mercury 25hp Manual Start Serial # OD046775. Can you please advise year of manufacture. Thanks.

"Neil, that is a 1991 model -

"Neil, that is a 1991 model - horrible model - you should immediately send it to me - I'll take it off your hands

Seriously though, great little motor. Some very minor changes in 1995 but still 95% of the parts are the same and the other 5% can be retrofit quite easily.

The model is still in production outside the US as the Merc 25 "Saltwater" edition."

"Thanks Graham for your prompt

"Thanks Graham for your prompt reply. The motor is for sale, but it's attached to a quiksilver inflatable and comes with a trailer. Perhaps I could drive it around to you. My onlt dilemma, coming from Australia, is which way around the world I should go.!!!!
lol.gif
"

"Well the Pacific is a little

"Well the Pacific is a little calmer, but I am on the eastern end of things - but thanks for the offer
"

Back