Logo

99 carb cleaning options

lynnie

"Hi folks,

I am getting m

"Hi folks,

I am getting my boat and yamaha 9.9 ready for the season. Toward the end of last season I had problems with the motor dying about 1-2 minutes (or less) after starting and then not starting again for about 15-20 minutes. It seemed to die about the time the choke would kick off perhaps.

Advice from a friend is that I need to clean the carburator. One person advised me to spray carb cleaner into the air intake spot and crank the motor and then let sit.

Another person told me to remove a screw down at the bottom of the carb and let the crud drain out, then try to spray carb cleaner in the gas line.

Another told me my 'float' was probably stuck and that I needed to get a rebuild kit.

So, are these good recommendations? And, where can I find instructions about how to clean out and/or rebuild the carb? I'm fairly good at following detailed instructions.

Thanks in advance for your valuable information and advice.

Lynnie"

"remove float chamber drain sc

"remove float chamber drain screw and let it drain onto a clean white rag to see what comes out, then spray carb cleaner into float chamber to remove any other debris, than pump the bulb to run fresh gas through the carb, then fill gas filter on motor with carb cleaner and pump that through the carb using the bulb. This is a very easy and quick thing to do,especially after you do it once or twice, but it works very well. A fuel/water separator from Walmart for $25 is a really great thing also, and it's a breeze to install on your transom. If your carb is in fact plugged up now, you may have to remove and clean it. Be sure to always use a good fuel stabilizer like Sta-Bil or Seafoam all the time, but especially if the motor is going to sit for several weeks or months. Hope this helps and good luck!"

"Thank you Robert and Jamie fo

"Thank you Robert and Jamie for your replies. Robert, I think I am going to try your advice. I see 2 screws on the side of the carb. The one on the right looks 'brass' colored and the one on the left is silver colored. Which one is the float chamber drain screw?

Also, is the fuel filter the little plastic thing in the middle of the fuel line?

I am going to attach a picture as well.

Thanks again for your help!

Lynnie"

my picture is too big to post.

my picture is too big to post. Sorry about that. But maybe you folks know what I am describing without the picture.

Thanks for your help.

Lynnie

the carb drain is a 10MM brass

the carb drain is a 10MM brass hex head plug on the bottom side of the float chamber...easy to remove and remember to use a clean white rag so you can see what comes out. Good luck

"Remove the carb, dissassemble

"Remove the carb, dissassemble and clean. In my experience, you will not be successful in cleaning the jets or orifices with what you are attempting. (Even after disassembly, you have to be very diligent in your efforst to clean.) And cleaners like Gumout are very effective in destroying o-ring rubber, swelling plastic parts, and swelling gaskets. (Been there, done that.) You can use it to clean, and it is very effective, but you have to be selective on which parts you spray.

It's intimidating the first time - like everything else - but removal and disassembly is not rocket science. I have a sailboat with twin 9.9's, and motoring is still a big part of cruising. You learn to clean carbs - rather than being stuck someplace because of dirty fuel - and with practice it can be removed, cleaned and reinstalled easily in 30 minutes. I carry mineral spirits with me (for soaking parts, loosen varnish, etc), you will need metric sockets, a very small screwdriver for unscrewing the main jet, small wire brush for cleaning, plus some wires pulled from a larger wire brush to run through the orifices to remove blockage.

While you have the carb apart, you can install a carb rebuild kit that includes the float, needle, new jet, gaskets. And it you do not have one, install a good fuel/water separator inline to each motor. It takes very little crap in the gas to block the carb jets and orifices. Stop it before it gets to the carb, with a filter. The "strainer" Yamaha has installed under the motor cowling is useless."

Back