Logo

Spark Plug Question

skytow

"I have 2003 300hp 5.7 carbed

"I have 2003 300hp 5.7 carbed Crusaders in my new (to me boat) The motors have 240 hours total. I suspect the plugs are original AC Delco platinums. I looked up the number (which eludes me at the moment) and they are about $ 10 each at GM or about $ 5 each on Ebay. I got 8 on Ebay and need 8 more.

My question is this: These type of plugs go 100K miles plus in automotive applications. How long should they go in marine applications? At 5 - 10 bucks a piece I'm not really in a hurry to replace something that is working just fine. My concern is rust! Could I spray them with some anti corrosion spray?

Thanks,

JD"

"Just be sure to put anti-seiz

"Just be sure to put anti-seize on the threads before they go in.

Personally, I think high perf plugs are a bunch of hype. I've used several types over the years and, for most applications, ordinary plugs work just as good.

Jeff

PS: Think of how much gas you could buy with the diference in prices!"

Not sure but I suspect these a

Not sure but I suspect these are the OEM plugs as supplied by Crusader! They have anti-seize on them now.

What would a good alternative be?

JD

"part of the reason they say t

"part of the reason they say the auto plugs can last so long is as they build the engines tighter, it gets harder to swap out the plugs. While the plugs do last for years, they have diminished performance after the first 10K miles. even in autos, its worth it to change the plugs."

Back