Logo

200 hp Mariner 1989 Starting help

red314

Hello

I have a 1989 Marine

Hello

I have a 1989 Mariner 200 H.P.
The motor ran great on Saturday and started fine than on Sunday I had to choke it with the throttle every time I started it. Now on Monday here it started ok but had to choke it with throttle and it ran fine till I shut it off to wait for the trailer to be backed in. I started it back up and headed to the trailer and it died so I choked it with the throttle and it would fast idle but when I put it in gear it died. This happened 3 more times and than no start so I dragged the boat on the trailer and took back to cabin and tried to start it in yard which took a bit but it started. I did notice gas dripping out the front cover. So was it flooded? Do I need a carb rebuild X3? This motor frustrates me on start up it is a pain in the butt. When I get it started it runs great and is fast. At slow idle or troll speed it chug's a lot and smokes.

Randy

Another question is their a wa

Another question is their a way to put fuel injection on this motor and get rid of the carb's?

Randy

"Definately sounds like the ca

"Definately sounds like the carbs need to be rebuilt.

Could this be converted to fuel injection - probably. There is no "conversion kit" out there, but the 200 came later as an injected motor.

Alot of playing around and you could most likely make it work. It could be a very expensive undertaking."

Well I took the cover off &#40

Well I took the cover off (in-take) in front of the carbs and the bottom was full of oil and gas. Not sure it came from the bottom carb but I think it did. I sure hope rebuilding the carbs solves the problems with this thing on start up.

Just got a price on the carb kits and they are $100 each ouch

Randy

Carb gasket kits are in. I di

Carb gasket kits are in. I did not need the rebuild kit's. I did rip a seal on one of the side bowl screws and found out after I got it all installed and primed up the system. Good thing it is on the top carb. The motor should get a test run tomorrow after the seal is replaced.

Is it common to use zip ties on the hoses. I replaced them with metal clamps.

I did find a very very thin hair like strand of metal in one of the jet ports in the bottom cab so I hope cleaning them helps this thing start better.

"Randy,
Zip ties seem to be

"Randy,
Zip ties seem to be very common on these older machines. Personally I switch over also to metal straps.
The oil and gas you found in the front cover may not be a problem actually. I have the same motor and fuel tends to leak out fron the carbs when tilted forward. Be sure to check all of the small air hoses that run from carb to carb and to the engine block. These things tend to crack every few years.
Good Luck."

I have it back together and go

I have it back together and going to try it out tonight or this weekend. The motor is in great shape and very clean and well taken care of. The thing is just a hard starter (having to use the throttle) but I am seeing that this is just how thay are. The motor will push the boat 60 mph all day once it is started.

Any tips on oil that wont smoke so bad. I am running quick silver

Thanks Randy

"Every motor has its own '

"Every motor has its own 'starting drill', and some are touchy. One of mine demands a ton of throttle and lots of choke to get going. Less throttle and it gets more than a bit "stubborn". Yours may be the same way. Try experimented and, when you find out what it 'likes', do it that way. Kinda like pleasing a woman!

Jeff"

"Randy,
As far as your oil go

"Randy,
As far as your oil goes, I would strongly suggest disconnecting your oil injection system on this motor. They were not the most reliable in the world and you can mix the oil in the fuel tank at 50:1 and never have to worry about the injection system failing. I've run mine like this for years with no issue and it definately smokes less also.

D"

"I kinda like the oil system o

"I kinda like the oil system on these - but that's personal.

Despite all the horror stories you hear I see far more toasted powerheads because the carbs were plugged or the impeller was never changed than any other fault - and both are the result of poor maint/prep.

Aside from a couple auto-blend nightmares I don't think I have actually seen a blown powerhead that was caused by an oil system failure.

Ask some of the other guys here that see alot of motors and I'm sure you will get similar answers. Yes, there is probably the odd one...

It's just easier to blame the oil injection for every problem from an overheat to a toasted cylinder (if the oil went ALL the cylinders would have toasted), that relieves the owner of their poor maintenance and storage practices.

My 1986 OMC has it's VRO system intact and functioning and if I owned an 86 Merc instead, the oiler would still be there and intact.

However, I don't buy into "mixing gas is a hassle" - do it for my little motors - and if you sleep better at night not worrying because you now mix your own gas, then that's great..."

Well started it up and it woul

Well started it up and it would run but took a bit to get it to iddle. I just changed the plugs so hope that helps a little.

I think I am being to picky on it running good and smooth.

On the mixing oil issue. I bought a oil injected motor to not have the hassel of mixing the gas and dumping it in from a can so it is going to stay. Besides the thing smokes like crazzy.

Randy

"Graham,
I couldn't agree

"Graham,
I couldn't agree with you more about the oil injection being to blame (wrongly) for motor failure. And it is true that these systems do run for years without ever looking at the injection system...About five years ago I finally sheared the shaft on one of these and the alarm went off so it wasn't an issue at all. But I certainly sleep better @ night not ever having to get stuck out there again as remote a possibility as it is.
I don't see it as a hassle; put in 100 gal. of fuel and pour in 2 gal of oil, I'd have to pour it into one hole or another anyway and the gas(hole) provides easier access than the oil tank anyway.

Randy,
Did you ever do a compression test on this engine?
There is also a flow rate check for the oil injection pump to make sure you aren't mixing too rich with oil.

D"

I did have a compression test

I did have a compression test last time it was in the shop when I told them it started like crap.

The test was good and they sinked the carbs and said it ran fine they let it iddle for a long time and it worked fine. I did ask about the mixing rate and was told it was fine.

It dose run good after it is warmed up but starts like crap.

I did not take the boat out last weekend and run it so no updates. I do plan on running it this weekend alot (family fishing trip and a long lake).

I also am getting a price on changing the motor out with a 1991 Mariner 200 efi from a local shop. To get rid of the carbs.

Randy

Update on the motor:

I took

Update on the motor:

I took it out fishing this weekend. The motor would start but not really good. When I got it running it was hard to keep it at idle I had to give it gas to idle than when I would shift either forward or reverse it would stall so I had to be quick than it would work. I did try it at different speeds and noticed that the motor would chug from 1600-1800 rpm and really sluggish. Than at trolling speed around 900 rpm the slowest it would run at the motor would surge. My hold shot is bad and top end is slow. I think I need to re-sink the crabs is that the rite thing to start with. I am thinking that something is out of adjustment and not to bad but just need a tip on what to look at.

Thanks Randy

"Randy,
Do you think anyone m

"Randy,
Do you think anyone may have swapped out the carbs on this engine? What I mean is that the jetting may be different in carbs used from another displacement motor. The rough area you have in the 1800 range may be due to overlap between the off idle jet and the main jet. This can happen from wrong size jets but is usually adjusted by adjusting the vent jet (at least it is on Motorcycle engines but as far as I'm concerned - a carb is a carb)
The surge at low RPM's nay be due to air leakage around the carbs or a damaged air line leading in (check all hoses). This will also affect the overlap problem if the leak is in the right area. I wouldn't go changing any jets until you are sure there are no leaks as this can be a complicated process (you'll probably need a set of carb sync manometers to due it correctly)"

I am dropping it off at dealer

I am dropping it off at dealer this after noon I am sick of working on it. The jets seemed to be origional and they are fixed. All lines were in great shape and I replaced the zip tie's with real clamps on all hoses. I give up.

Randy

Well I looked at the boat this

Well I looked at the boat this morning waiting to get picked up for work and found a plug wire off. I tried to start the motor no luck so it got droped off today I should get it back next week.

Well the shop said the stator

Well the shop said the stator is bad. It has a open side. The fix is going to be $500 is this normal. I am going to have them save the old part and test it myself

Yep - if they are installing a

Yep - if they are installing an OEM part - stator lists for 444 bucks from Merc

Or you could go with an aftermarket stator from CDI Electronics for about 140 bucks (which is maybe what your shop will do and keep the rest of the money for the install)....

And maybe an OEM part is a little better (but I personally have had good results with CDI/Rapier) - but you have to think - you can blow 3 CDI stators before you equal the cost of a single one from Merc...

"I got it back and I tried to

"I got it back and I tried to start with the muffs on and the motor started good I think this might have been the problem from the start.

Service ticket said: Checked compression-good, checked spark-weak,inspected ING. system with meter and found that the stator red/white&blue/white leads are open. This means that the stator had failed.

It looks like the new part was 191.00 and the labor 3 hour at 110.00
I am glad it is fixed and hope it works good on vacation next week"

Back