Logo

1998 Mariner 40HP ELPTO

tinmanvwtdi

"I have a very low hour (l

"I have a very low hour (less than 150) 1998 40HP 2-stroke. The motor is beautiful and has been well cared for, but now I'm thinking I would like more power. I have it on a 1998 Smoker Craft Stinger 160. Also in beautiful shape.

My question is this, the boat is rated for a maximum of 60HP...can I do a direct exchange with a Mercury 60HP 4-Stroke and keep all of the same motor controls? Other than gear ratio...is there an advantage to the Bigfoot model?

My kids are to the point now where they like to go tubing (double tube) when we're not fishing and I think the increased HP will help me out. Also, is the increase on a 16' Deep V going from 40HP to 60HP worth it?"

"Both motors appear to use a t

"Both motors appear to use a typical 8 pin connection (but maybe not, or maybe you can adapt it easily) - however, the throttle/shift cables are the same and the steering will also hook right back up.

The bigfoot models are rigged primarily on pontoons (because they are like trying to power a rock through the water) or as kickers and the bigfoot doesn't work as hard to push the extra weight - but it does mean that you lose quite a bit of top end speed as the tradeoff.

You won't notice a huge difference between a 40 2 stroke and the 60 4 stroke - both are pretty even at bottom end - at top end you may see 3 or 4 more mph.

The 60 does weigh considerably more, so you are adding extra weight that has to be pushed.

No real gas savings because although the 4S will be a little more effient, you have more horses to feed so it will kinda even out.

It will be a little quieter, particularly at lower speeds and is better for the environment if that's a primary concern (or if you use waters that have restrictions).

My personal opinion, just from a rigging perspective is, you would not see enough of a performance increase to justify the cost of the new motor on that particular rig.

Ideally, from new, if it had of been fitted with a 50 2 stroke, that would have been the perfect combo. And yes, the 50 is still available and will kick the snot out of the 60 4 stroke."

Back