Logo

1988 60hp Johnson motor cuts out

I have a 1988 60hp Johnson mot

I have a 1988 60hp Johnson motor with a new battery. Motor starts great and runs good at idle and low speed. When I go full throttle for about 30 secs the motor cuts out. When I try to restart the starter hesitates but I am usually able to start and then run at very low speed back to the dock. Once I have the boat in the drive way and run it on the ears it runs good. This started happening last year and I thought it was the battery but it obviously was not. Plugs are a nice brown color so they seem to be working fine. Any ideas?

"cuts out,....bogs down,or qui

"cuts out,....bogs down,or quick,in-out?....i would first,chg/load test that battery...then,take a good look at batt cables...many times,u cant see,a bad spot,so its usually better to replace 21 y/o batt cables..if u r running on a plastic fuel tank,make sure vent is open/clr...if built in tank,..look for a fuel restriction....IF u can verify,that it is not ign related...also,clen the coil ground,areas.put new plugs in,ck all fuel filters...fuel lines and primer bulbs aged---repl."

"I will check this stuff when

"I will check this stuff when I get home. How about the hesitation of the motor after it cuts out totally? When I start it when it is cold it turns over great. After I run it on the lake and it cuts out and I restart, it barely turns over. I am thinking something must be over heating but I have a good stream of water coming out."

"if u go to--> shop.evinr

"if u go to--> shop.evinrude.com u can access ur eng parts,diagrams... u would pull therm to test,in hot wtr.therm,is under small cap,on cyl head."

I took my motor in and the mec

I took my motor in and the mechanic replaced the plugs and set the timing and test drove the boat and said it was fine. He said it was reving to high causing the motor to heat up. I am not totally convinced but I can see it heating up. Could be the prop I have causes the motor to rev up. I will test it out myself and let you know what I find.

"Tried out the boat on the lak

"Tried out the boat on the lake and it did the same thing again. Started fine at the dock and ran fine. Went about half speed if not slower for about two minutes and it cut out again. Hard turning over after that but started, went for about 30 seconds then died again and then just turned over and did not start. Went home and checked for spark and there was spark, tried starting again and it started right away. I took it back to the mechanic. I am at a loss what it would be and I now don't trust the mechanic. Any other ideas."

"Fuel delivery?

I'd mak

"Fuel delivery?

I'd make sure the fuel filter is clear, and the pump is working properly. Try pumping the bulb during a high speed run to see if it continues running."

Ive seen them turn to a thick

Ive seen them turn to a thick gel but rusty?maybe rusted at grounds id start with the grounds all of them and by a can of circuit board clnr then after checking all connections etc id tink about a power pack

Mechanic replaced the power pa

Mechanic replaced the power pack and took it out for a rip and it died on him after a couple of minutes. He is still looking for the problem. I am Not real sure what it could be. At least he can see now what happens instead of me trying to explain it.

This sounds similar to the pro

This sounds similar to the problem I just posted. It is not until I get it in the water that it starts acting up. I saw the comment about the water pump and over heating. Does the temp switch keep the motor from turning to high RPM if it is running to hot?

The Mechanic could not get my

The Mechanic could not get my motor working so I took it home and will try to fix it myself. If I can't I will take it to a more experienced mechanic. There seems to be lots of spark so I think it is fuel related. Now the motor will not even start. It wants to start but won't. How do I see if it is getting the right amount of fuel? If it is not would it be a fuel pump? Also should I blow air through the fuel line just in case there is a blockage.

"Checked all fuel lines on the

"Checked all fuel lines on the motor and seems the mechanic before had flooding problems because there is fuel all over the lower leg on the outside and down the leg. I was trying to start it last night the motor wants to start but won't. It does back fire occasionally. There is lots of spark but the bottom plug is getting wet. I think the motor is so flooded it won't start. I now have to charge up my battery because it is dead. I think the initial problem might be temperature related. Last night the buzzer was going off which tells me the motor is getting warm. I will charge up the battery and try to get it started, unflooded, then I think I will change the thermostat. Am I going down the right path.
It's been to long without a boat."

"since u r getting a backfire,

"since u r getting a backfire,repeatedly,i would pull the flywheel,and ck for a sheared,flywheel key...throws timing off."

"Pull the flywheel, you have a

"Pull the flywheel, you have a bad stator or trigger at the same time you will verify if you also have a shared key !
I am not sure why most outboard mechanic never looks or question the source of power and firing first or at least consider it.Just my 2 cents"

Mechanic told me he timed the

Mechanic told me he timed the engine and it was right on. I am now going to pick up a manual and go through everything. I am sure I will have more questions. Thanks.

Thanks I tried different combi

Thanks I tried different combinations with the wires but it will only start the way it was originally. I did think of this and was hoping it was that simple but no luck. Next is pulling the flywheel.

"Ok I am finally going to pull

"Ok I am finally going to pull my Flywheel. First of all what do I look for once I pull it, ie. Possible problems? Also how do I time it. I have a manual and it states to rev the motor up to at least 3500rpm under load (I have a 45 gallon drum) and then adjust one turn of the screw is one degree. The screw I think is under the flywheel behind the carbs. Doesn't really make sense to me because all that screw does is stop the advance of the shift linkage. How does this time a motor at low idle? Can someone please explain this to me. Thanks."

Reinhold you need to take the

Reinhold you need to take the motor to an experienced omc mechanic and let them sort out your problem...If you dont know much about outboards and you are mucking around with the timing it could be costly.

Ensure you have the coil wires going to the correct coil.
Top...orange with blue stripe
Middle...orange
Bottom orange with green stripe

Thanks fellas but I am way ahe

Thanks fellas but I am way ahead of you. I have taken the boat to a Johnson mechanic with experience. I Have learned something here (you think by now I would have learned everything already) that I need to take my mechanical devices to certified mechanics. If this was a snowmobile motor no problem but I just don't have the knowledge and energy for this one. Thanks again.

"OMC Mechanic looked at my mot

"OMC Mechanic looked at my motor and told me it needs a total rebuild, 2500.00 which includes a VRO pump. Not real good news. I can't understand how this motor was running good and strong, plugs where burning nice and brown and then when I got it back from the first mechanic it was back firing and now needs a rebuild. I am lost for words, seems really strange to me. I have rebuilt the top end of a few skidoo motors in the past, is it any more complicated with a boats motor and if I attempt the rebuild myself should I do the lower bearings? Also the mechanic that wants to rebuild it says he is going to put a VRO pump on it which is 500.00. Compression is 90, 110, 122. That's another strange thing, first mechanic told me compression was ok. Confussed

Anyone have a 60hp Johnson for sale??"

Back