Logo

AQ225D280

signusx1

Contributing Member
"Last night after an hour out,

"Last night after an hour out, I developed a vibration in the drive. It felt/ sounded like a slippage occured and then vibration. i immediately throttled down and pulled boat out.

Looking for troubleshooting options before I begin repairs.

Regards,"

"Check that the propeller is n

"Check that the propeller is not spinning on the hub. If it does, you will need to re-hub it or to get a new prop."

Can you point me in the right

Can you point me in the right direction for a new prop? The AQ drives seem to be difficult finding a propeller.

i have found the best price on

i have found the best price on OEM Volvo props at propmd.com or check out marinepartsexpress.com as they have a lot of OE Volvo Props for the short and long hub aquamatic drives. But I personally would stick with a factory Volvo prop as you do not have to worry about improper fit and finish.

"Brad, you should not have a p

"Brad, you should not have a problem getting a new prop for your drive. Also, there are lots of used props around in excellent condition at a much better price than the new ones. What size of prop (diameter, pitch, size of hub and blade type) do you need? Could you upload (or e-mail) a picture of your current prop?"

"Hey El,

Do you know where

"Hey El,

Do you know where i could a used or re-conditioned #814632 or 814631?? That would be either a 14x17R or a 14x15R for my boat so i dont have to spend the 225 bucks on a new one??i cannot find any...thx"

"El_P,

My current prop is

"El_P,

My current prop is a 15.5" x 19 p. I am looking to up the pitch to 21p. My WOT RPM's under current prop is 5500 RPM.

Also the current prop is not OEM VP. It is stainless with no ID markings."

"J.C.H., I think I do, but the

"J.C.H., I think I do, but the prop shop is in Nanaimo, Vancouver Island (Canada) and I don't think they ship to the US. You can always call Rev Propeller at (250) 754-7122 and ask for Gary, he will let you know."

"Brad, just an FYI on this bec

"Brad, just an FYI on this because it is often misunderstood.... but the prop spacer/line cutter is drive specific... not prop specific.
For the 280, you must use the longer spacer/line cutter unit.... regardless of which hub prop you purchase.

What changes for you between "long hub" vs "short hub" is the cone nut configuration.
For this, you vary the style of the cone nut to accommodate long vs shor hub.
There is a two pc cone nut that will do both style hubs.

Again, just an FYI due to some common confusion on this.
."

"Ricardo,

thanks for the i

"Ricardo,

thanks for the info...I value the advice on this forum. I've been browsing it daily for the last couple of years and am impressed."

"Brad, would it be possible fo

"Brad, would it be possible for you to upload a picture of your current prop? I would like to see if it is long or short hub, the type of blade and if the blades are cupped.

Also, the shop is Rev Propeller and it is located in Stewart Avenue in Nanaimo. The phone number is (250) 754-7122 and the owner's name is Gary."

"Brad, I just realized that yo

"Brad, I just realized that you must be near BC. You are in and around Volvo Penta country! It should be easy to find what you want.... and in stock."

"EL_P/Ricardo,

Yes I am cl

"EL_P/Ricardo,

Yes I am close to the Island. I will take some pictures tonight and post tomorrow.

Thanks again for your help."

"Hey Ricardo;

im in and aro

"Hey Ricardo;

im in and around mercruiser country and its getting old lol... i have towed sooo many people in with mercruiser outdrive problems. and i never seem to have any with an old 270...but yet they still laugh at my older V/P. i think mercruiser still makes a good product and everything has it's problems..

p.s- sorry that i ambushed this thread
uhoh.gif

p.p.s-i agree with brad, both u(Ricardo e.) and El Pescador have been nothing but help to me here on this site as well of hundreds of other novice/intermediate boaters. I value your help as always and you guys hands down know my boat better than i do. For all the help you guys have given because of your tremendous knowledge of these older V/P's everybody should chip in and get these guys a gift card to RED LOBSTER!!!"

"<font color=""ff0000""><font

"<font color=""ff0000""><font size=""+2"">I love Red Lobster! </font></font> LOL

Nah, you guys keep your money for fuel.... I enjoy helping. But that is a very nice thought!"

well guys i greatly appreciate

well guys i greatly appreciate the help as always.Hope you guys have a wonderful summer and im sure ill need some more of your help in the future!!! These older V/P's still need some TLC every now and again

"EL_P,

I talked with the p

"EL_P,

I talked with the prop Doctor from Nanaimo...he has what I need.

My prop is a Michigan Wheel 15.75 x 17p stainless.
I removed the prop and re-installed. Launched Mavis and ran her for an hour. Vibration has disappeared.

I will have Gary jet another prop to me...maybe I should name my boat Christine?

Regards,"

"Glad you found Gary useful. D

"Glad you found Gary useful. Did he suggest that you have the prop cupped? If not, you may want to ask him if the blades are already cupped or if he will cup them (and at what extra cost). The increase in performance you will experience is worth it.

One note of caution regarding your current prop. If the vibration has disappeared but it was due to the prop spinning on the hub, it is a matter of time before the problem reoccurs."

"Yes, precisely why I will exp

"Yes, precisely why I will expedite a prop from Gary.
The cupping of the blades will increase performance in what way?"

"[b]Quote: "The cupping of

"Quote: "The cupping of the blades will increase performance in what way?"

<font size=""+1"">Forward!</font>

(oh come on..... let me have some fun today! I did yard work all weekend!)"

"yard work all weekend&#34

"yard work all weekend" P###y whipped! Anyone with a large scrotum this time of year should be shifting into 5th gear on the scooter or rippin up the lake!!

Will cupping the blades enable Mavis to plane quicker or will it give me more knots per hour?

"Brad, a cupped propeller bite

"Brad, a cupped propeller bites better in the water and gives your boat more thrust (and speed) than an unccupped prop of the same size. In most cases its effect is like adding a 1" pitch without actually adding it.

I made the remark because many of the original props for the VP AQ series are originally uncupped."

Thank you...and Ricardo I was

Thank you...and Ricardo I was teasing. Doing yardwork and planting flowers is a wonderful way to spend good summertime weather!!

Back