Logo

15 hp Nissan

m1sterh

"I have a 15 HP Nissan, bought

"I have a 15 HP Nissan, bought it new last year. Ran like a champ. Had it winterized and wouldn't start this season. Brought it to the dealer. He said it was the ethanol clogging the jets. Took apart the carb and cleaned it. Now starting is rough. Wont start with the choke on. Have to give it some gas. Once it warms up ( which it does quickly) it runs and idles fine. Any help please."

"You have a dirty carb. It&#39

"You have a dirty carb. It's not an ethanol issue though. Run the gas out of the engine each time you are done using it, only use fuel less than a month old and clean the carb by taking it apart and soaking it in carb cleaner for three hours."

"Thank you. Can I ask another

"Thank you. Can I ask another question? I have my 15 HP on a 12 foot inflatable. I am using the prop that came with the motor. Is there anything I can do to get a little more speed, short of getting a bigger motor. Again thanks for your help."

"Propeller pitch is a give and

"Propeller pitch is a give and take proposition. You can drop down in pitch and gain take-off power at the expense of top end speed or increase pitch, gain speed and take forever to get on plane. It's trial and error to determine what works best for you."

"A follow up on my original qu

"A follow up on my original question. It's still hard to start the motor and the last day I had it out , it had no power at all. Brought it back to the dealer. He said he did take apart and clean the carb. So now he has the motor and is checking it out. What do you think?"

"I think he needs to clean tha

"I think he needs to clean that carb again
Honestly, anything can always be wrong, but usually it's a fuel system issue. You might want to take it to a different dealer if they give the engine back to you and it has the same problem. DEALERS(notice the capitals) come in every shape and size. Some are honest, but stupid. Some are dishonest, but smart. And some muddle their way through eventually by a combination of trial and error."

"I haven't spoken to the m

"I haven't spoken to the mechanic since I dropped the engine off on Sunday, but when I left it he was implying he thinks it's the auto by starter. Obviously if he doesn't get to the bottom of this soon I'll find another dealer. He happened to be the closest and most convenient to get to."

"Possible, but unlikely. Easy

"Possible, but unlikely. Easy to test though. Pull it out, it it with continuous 12 volts...If it moves, its working. If it doesn't move its bad."

Mechanic spoke to Nissan. They

Mechanic spoke to Nissan. They are going to swap out a new carburetor. He should have it in 2 days

Got the motor back today. New

Got the motor back today. New carburetor. Running like a champ...............One more question......Do you flush your motor after each time out? I find some people swear by it and others never do it.

"Think of it like this. In the

"Think of it like this. In theory you have a 20 year service life on a perfectly maintained engine that is used in salt water. Not flushing it each time you come back in takes years off of that. You might lose 5 years, you might lose 10."

In Australia our motors run in

In Australia our motors run in saltwater all there life and you can tell a motor that hasnt been flushed out So flush it and run it long enough for the thermostat to open up and flush the head and block out properly

Back