Logo

2001 BF90 grinds when shifts

claye

"I bought this boat used. 60

"I bought this boat used. 60 hrs. This is my first "larger" outboard. When I shift, into either forward or reverse, it grinds. It seems excessive to me and I was not expecting any grinding. Is this normal or not? One shop (backed up 6 weeks) said it was because the shift cable was too tight and needed more slack. I looked at engine, and I have 2 cables coming to it from the control. One works the carbs and the other is for the shifting. I don't really know if the input from the shop is good, and if it is, I'm not sure what to adjust and I don't want to make it worse. Specifically I mean.. the only thing on the motor end is the steel cable that goes into the square brass fitting, and this is held to the linkage arm with a cotter pin. the end of the cable is threaded so i have some ability to adjust that, but is set at the very end of the cable right now. Just from looking at it (for whatever that's worth), it does seem like the right thing to be adjusting. I've worked on bikes a lot but outboards are new to me. Any advise?"

"I had a somewhat similar prob

"I had a somewhat similar problem. It was the usual grinding, but only louder. The motor semeed to "jump" when entering into shift. Mech found the cables corroded inside the motor, hence, it was like acelerating a car in neutral and then shifting. How are the RPM's in neutral? If RPMs are higher it may be the cables. I', no mechanic, just my experience..."

It is normal for a grinding no

It is normal for a grinding noise going into forward or reverse gear...you can minimise it by shifting swiftly not slowly into gear.

Post what revs the motor idles at in the water as it may also be idling too high

Thanks for the input. I have

Thanks for the input. I have also received a few e-mails. Sounds like the problem is ignorance on the part of the operator! I will check the idle RPMs next time I'm out and post that.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Try changing the lower gearcas

Try changing the lower gearcase oil. You might have the wrong or no oil in the gearcase.

Back