Logo

Performance differance between 46 hp 4str yamaha

ghayman

"Hello,Just wondering what the

"Hello,Just wondering what the differance would be between the 4 and the 6 yamaha on a small jon boat 300lb load.Just wondering if the 4 4str would plane a small jon boat.. thanks"

"The 4 horse may bring it just

"The 4 horse may bring it just to plane, but you would always regret not getting the 6 horse.

Secondly, the 4 horse is a single and the 6 is a twin cylinder.

As soon as the "new" wears off a single cylinder motor it will idle like crap until the end of time and even keeping it perfectly tuned does little to aleviate the "shakes".

The fact that it's a 4 stroke compounds the problem.

Think about it - only every second stroke is a power stroke, so the flywheel goes 720 degrees (2 turns) each time the cylinder fires. That brings to mind the term "gutless". It relies on momentum from the exhaust stroke for the next compression cycle.

At least with a twin you are getting one cylinder firing each rotation.

Go with the 6 or you will spend the rest of "your" days "wishing you had"...."

"Thanks Graham,I was kinda thi

"Thanks Graham,I was kinda thinking the same thing,just needed some one elses thoughts on it. Thanks"

The f4 is not the smoothest ru

The f4 is not the smoothest running engine I have run. Probably due to the fact it is a 1 lunger.
For small outboards like that I really like the 2strokers. Way lighter and you dont have to worry about getting oil in the jugs if you tilt it or lay it down wrong.

Oz

"Remember also (at least w

"Remember also (at least with 2 stroke models), that there are many models that weight the same and have same displacement as others of different horsepower.
Example:
4 hp vs 5hp
6 hp vs 8 hp
9.9 vs 15
20 vs 30
40 vs 50
60 vs 70
115 vs 130
150 vs 175
200 vs 225
etc....

Just something to consider when power/weight is important.
I just like overpowered boats, and have the ability/sense not to use the xtra power when not safe to do so.

Oz"

With engines you dont get some

With engines you dont get something for nothing...given that a engine will produce x amount of power for so many hours of engine life less power out of the same size engine will theoretically last longer.

However would i buy a 9.9 when i can get a 15? no and so it goes.

Back