Logo

Water mixing with oil

mpoteete

I have a 1965 Arena Craft with

I have a 1965 Arena Craft with a Ford 289. The marinezation componets are/is Interceptor. The problem that continues to plauge me is the water cooling system is mixing with the oil. No water shows up in the combustion cambers so I do not think it's a blow head gasket or cracked cyclinder head. I have carefully changed the timing cover gasket and intake manifold gaskets using RTV around all the water passages. It was suggested that I might be getting water up through the cyclinder head bolts. Is this possible and if so how do you properly seal the head bolts?

Hope everybody's boating season is off to a good start!

M Poteete

"Actually it is posible to hav

"Actually it is posible to have a head gasket that is just blown between the water & oil passages. Seeing that the spark plugs must be clean is encouraging. A compression check would most likely be positive as well. You should be able to block off all crankcase breathers & presurize the crankcase to help you find where the problem lies. Not a 1 man job though. If it were a closed loop cooling system, I'd recommend presurizing it instead to find your malady. This is the best direction to troubleshoot from."

"Make sure your engine crankca

"Make sure your engine crankcase is ventilated properly. Marine engines are subject to condensation problems and a little condensation makes milky oil. If you are not running hot enough for a long enough time to evaporate the condensation, you will get milky oil."

Back