Logo

19921993 Nissian 35 Prop doesnt spin

wingnut

"Im assuming I've broken a

"Im assuming I've broken a gear of some type. I have a 14ft aluminum jon boat and I was crusing about half throttle when all of a sudden my Nissian 3.5 tached out and the boat stopped going forward. It runs fine. start right up. When I got it out ouf the water I started it up, gave it gas but the prop wasnt turning. I shut it off and could turn the prop by hand with no motor compression. Any clue and if so where can I get parts.

BTW- Forgive but I just bought this motor and know nothing about it. No reverse right?"

Sounds like the shear pin. Th

Sounds like the shear pin. The shear pin is design to break so you don't break something more expensive. It is an easy fix. See the owner manual on how to replace the shear pin.

"Jon Boat,
let me caution you

"Jon Boat,
let me caution you about starting the 3.5 out of water. Actually no motor should EVER be started out of water, but with the 3.5 it is especially true. That motor has an especially crappy impellor and is subject to degrading quickly if run even a very short time out of water. By short time I mean even a few seconds. You will not notice it at first once it is run dry, but the damage is most likely done. The pee hole will still vent water, but the water is not getting to the motor as it should to cool it properly because it no longer can make proper pressure too push it up past the thermostat and it can overheat the motor. Before you know it you can be caught out with a serious overheated engine or one that is totally burnt up.
By the way like Mike D said it most likely is the shear pin. Pull the cotter pin out of the prop and take the prop off and look at the pin. Also the prop might be damaged where the shear pin is suppose to contact it and this too will cause it to slip. In such a case you will need to replace the pin and or prop. Hope this helps."

""Actually no motor should

""Actually no motor should EVER be started out of water, but with the 3.5 it is especially true. That motor has an especially crappy impellor and is subject to degrading quickly if run even a very short time out of water."

True that no engine should ever be started without a water source...Not true about the impeller."

Thanks for the info and advice

Thanks for the info and advice guys. I actaully pulled to prop off yesterday. It was a broken shear pin. I see where a steel pin is offered. Pro's and cons between brass and steel? Thank again.

"Steel are the only one's

"Steel are the only one's available anymore so its moot
"

Back