Logo

Exhaust manifold modification BF 225 and BF 200

chawk_man

Silver Medal Contributor
Does anyone know what model ye

Does anyone know what model year Honda first installed the modified exhaust manifolds to prevent backwash from coming into the upper exhaust manifolds and pistons? Is there a retro fit for earlier models?

"I guess they started in 2006,

"I guess they started in 2006, as that is the date of Buletiing #56.

Affected units:
MODELFRAME SERIAL NUMBER RANGE

BF200A
BAEJ-1000001 ~ 1500116
BAFJ-1000001 ~ 1500016

BF225A
BAGJ-1000001 ~ 1500324
BAHJ-1000001 ~ 1500022

WARRANTY INFORMATION
In warranty: The normal warranty applies.

Out of warranty: Any repair performed after warranty expiration may be eligible for goodwill consideration. Please contact Techline or your District Service Manager. You must request consideration, and receive a decision, before starting work."

Rick - thanks. Yesterday I man

Rick - thanks. Yesterday I managed to get my hands on a complete printed copy of Service Bulletin #56. I'll scan it and send to anyone who wants a copy. I found their analysis of how water could be drawn into the combustion chamber very interesting - it's on page 7 of the Bulletin. I also find it more than a bit disconcerting that it took Honda about five years to adequately address the problem.

"WDN, ive tried several times

"WDN, ive tried several times to email you for the Service Bulletin #56, but it seems the address supplied dosnt work. Do you have an alternative addy i could try? I would very much like a copy of the TSB, as the Honda Tech. hotline here is unaware of it.
Cheers. Jon."

"hey I have this exhaust probl

"hey I have this exhaust problem and my is 2002 bf225, has been a problem since I owned them new
can someone tell me what they do to fix"

water backflows into exhaust e

water backflows into exhaust end up replacing o2 sensor yearly. I know its a common problem in Honda because exhaust ports have nothing to keep water from back flowing into them

"Aristakat,

That problem ca

"Aristakat,

That problem can actually destroy your engine if not taken care of. See earlier message from Ricksterpr, above. If your SN falls within those ranges, then Honda needs to modify your exhaust system. That is covered in Honda Service Bulletin # 56. Send an e-mail to me at [email protected] and I will e-mail you back the service bulletin in .pdf format."

"This is what the exhaust look

"This is what the exhaust looked like before the Service Bulleting #56. Pictures taken by my tech so thanks man if you're reading this...
287241.jpg
Exhaust

They gave me a little of the o

They gave me a little of the old round about but yes they did agree to do so under warranty. Engine hours are 248. The say two more hours and I would have to foot the bill. However last year the engine had the sensor and spark replaced and they failed to apply BS #56 so that was a point on my favor...

"Roger that. It's their de

"Roger that. It's their design flaw, so they should cover it, regardless of time or hours. In the auto industry, a design flaw like that would have spawned a class action lawsuit in a New York second. Of course, only the lawyers benefit from those. What bugs the heck out of me is that it took them over five years to admit they had a serious problem with the exhaust port design. Seems like they generally make good on fixing it, which is the good news. I just wonder what other design problems are lurking under the cowling of these V-6's."

anyone got a contact number to

anyone got a contact number to get ahold of a district manager for this problem ? I live in south Florida and seems like everytime I needed warranty issues it took forever to get resolved or to for them to get ahold of a rep for area.

Agree - besides the exhaust manifolds, both are serious design flaws in my opinion. One particular issue that ticked me off to no end is that until recently they did not provide and NMEA 2000 electronic outputs in order to monitor engine performance in real time. Instead, you had to purchase those funky, hard to read, digital gauges for an outlandish price - the two gauges were over $1600.It seems that Honda's small engine tradition and experience allowed them to make excellent smaller outboards. But when they decided to "marineize" their large auto engines, they made some serious design mistakes, like those already mentioned. Underneath it all, the 200's and 225's are Honda J35 (A3 or A4) engines. Those are real work horses. But all the modifications needed to make it into an outboard seemed to have stumped Honda's normally outstanding design folks.

how do I tell if I have the bulletin 56 exhausts, just bought boat with 2 2002 bf 225s , both powerheads were replaced in '09 due to major failures.

If it was a warranty repair, Honda will have a record. I think Hondadude has access to their Intranet. If he doesn't chime in, call customer service in Atlanta, and ask them. Have your engine serial number ready.

Re: Rick - thanks. Yesterday I man

oh yes chawk_man I would like to have a copy of that bulletins because in my honda 225 intake manifold I found water and some frien told me that seals and gaskets in the exhaust manifold can be the cause.
my honda 225 goes from 4800 to 2500 in lee that a minute and i have been trying to find the possible reazon of that
my honda is a 2011 BAHJ-1200260 HONDA 225HP BF225DLHGD
thatns

Last edited:
Back