Logo

Fuel leak

vadare

"I have a 2002, Volvo D2-55A e

"I have a 2002, Volvo D2-55A engine (1300-Hr) that has been leaking fuel into the engine bilge. I can not find the source of the leak. I notice that the leak continues during winter storage, accumulating over a pint of diesel in the bilge by spring launch. The engine seems to perform flawlessly otherwise. I'll have to continue searching, but if anyone has a likely source, a pointer would be most appreciated."

"I would check the fuel tank e

"I would check the fuel tank especially the bottom. If the leak was in the hoses, pump or filters I think it would allow air in the line and be hard to start."

"I had the same problem with t

"I had the same problem with the same model engine. For me, it turned out to be a pin hole in the fuel filter housing attached to the engine block. Housing was removed and problem identified when pressure tested."

Thanks Christian - That will g

Thanks Christian - That will give me something to focus on. I'll have a look next time I am at the boat.

Clean area thoroughly then spr

Clean area thoroughly then sprinkle J & J baby powder about --follow snail trial.

"I had a copper fuel line that

"I had a copper fuel line that ran through the bilge, First day in the spring I found the contents of my fuel tank in the bilge. When I picked up the fuel line to check it, there was no fuel line. It had bveen completely eaten away over the winter. There was a line of corroded copper particles where the fuel line used to be."

My engine sets within its own

My engine sets within its own glassed in pan that captures any leakage before it can get to the bilge. That's why I can rule out the tanks and fuel line - at least the major portion of the fuel line before it gets to the engine. The leak is either from the engine or the line connecting to it. That is why Christian's similar experience with the same engine is of interest to me.

"My leak drove me nuts for abo

"My leak drove me nuts for about 12 months. Visually, it was very difficult to figure out where it was coming from. I suspected the fuel filter not mating to the housing properly but after changing filters a couple of times, I ruled this out. The gasket between the filter and housing always seemed "wet" which further confounded me. After pressure testing the housing, we found a pin hole / hairline crack in the housing probably related to previous owner over tightening the bleed screw on the top of the housing. Fuel would weep out run down the side of the housing, over/around the gasket, down the filter and into the sump under the engine. Not sure if it happened during periods of non use, I had a leaking anti siphon at the same time which also ended up in the engine sump..... Both fixed now, sump has been dry for months!"

Back