Logo

Shift cables on a cobra

wmlaks

Regular Contributor
"I am replaceing the shift cab

"I am replaceing the shift cable on my 1987 2.3 liter cobra I have read through the procedure from www.hastings.org/~stuart/cobra/ thouroaly where it saays to measure 7 5/8 inch from the center of the shift pin hole to the edge of the cable crimp are they talking about to the nut or to the cable housing that the nut sits against also while reading I noticed that in one place it says 7 9/16 plus or minus 1/32 in another it says 7 5/8 plus or minus 1/32 which is the correct specification. I also noticed that it gave two different part numbers for the cables 987661 for 1988 and up and 987662 for 1986 and 1987 I have only been able to find a replacement cable that crosses to the 987661 part number does anyone know what the differences are between the two cables. Thanks for any info Michael"

"I believe the difference in t

"I believe the difference in the 2 cables was because of the difference in the shift lever (this is the part that the remote and lower shift cable attach to at the engine) You can still get both cables from this site, hit the engine part icon at the top and punch in the pn's. I would use the 7 9/16 measurement as that came out later in the form of a technical bulletin where as the 7 5/8 was published in the manual. The distance is between the hole and the crimped on unmovable brass fitting."

thank you Mr. Hill hopefully I

thank you Mr. Hill hopefully I will be able to get this boat shifting properly I a starting to understand why they say a boat owners first istake is not buying a merc. thanks again Michael

Back