Logo

Stalls when shifting

colombo

"I have a 1960 Sea-Skiff w/ a

"I have a 1960 Sea-Skiff w/ a 283. Just had the carb (Carter WCFB) totally rebuilt. It runs great when you get it going, but it tends to stall when shifting into fwd/rev. Any ideas?
Thanks!"

Need to know what the idle is

Need to know what the idle is set at? Normally it would be around 500 rpm in gear or 600 to 700 in neutral with paragon trans. I checked my 283 f and m manuals and neither mention timing or idle which is sort of strange.

"RE: "I checked my 283 f a

"RE: "I checked my 283 f and m manuals and neither mention timing "

My 283FLV manual says to use a timing light to set timing to the mark, i.e. the "crankshaft pully timing mark directly in line with the ignition timing indicator". It also says... Idle, in gear, 500 RPM."

The "283" F or H model

The "283" F or H model with the WCFB or the Rochester 4bbl should be set at 650-700 RPM's for the idle speed. my old service man. for the 283 H says 650 to 700 with the Paragon hydraulic or manual reverse gear.
Fred Durbin

Thanks all! I think my timing

Thanks all! I think my timing is set at around 500 @ idle. I will check it this weekend.

Good morning. I am a first time Chris Craft owner. I have a 1964 CC SuperSport with a 283. When I put in reverse engine stalls out unless I quickly increase rpms. Engine cuts out each time engine clutches into reverse at low speed. Any ideas.

thanks

Chris

You have posted to a thread that was started back in April 2009.
It would be best if you were to start a new and fresh thread!

Back