Logo

Metal shavings in lower motor unit oil

flashgor_99

I was changing the lower motor

I was changing the lower motor unit oil on my BF90 motor. There are some metal shavings stuck to the drain screw. Is this normal? Should I trade in my boat real quick?
thanks for any advice.

If you have changed the oil re

If you have changed the oil reguralrly (20 first hours and every 100 hours) you shoudnt have seen any metal shavings.

"Agree with Nikos. Unless it w

"Agree with Nikos. Unless it was a miniscule amount of shavings, then that is not normal. A miniscule amount may indicate you are still breaking in the rings and oil pump. With 150 hours, you may still be under warranty. Call the original dealer and immediately report what you found, especially the amount of the "shavings." At 200 hour maintenance interval my dealer found about a "thimble full" of shavings in my BF 225. He called Honda and they sent a new short block, which is being installed now at no cost to me. If for some reason you are NOT under warranty, call the original dealer anyway and see what they can do for you. If dealer is not responsive, call the regional rep. Document everything. Honda owners should not have to put up with faulty engines from a supposedly reputable manufacturer. And please don't shove off a broke engine on some unsuspecting soul."

"Lower unit. And I wouldn'

"Lower unit. And I wouldn't dump it on someone, that was a joke
uhoh.gif
"

"Well crap - I misread the pos

"Well crap - I misread the post - thought we were talking about the engine oil. Guess it's time to see the eye doc. Anyway, what volume of "shavings" are we talking about and how large?"

"Pretty fine shavings. They we

"Pretty fine shavings. They were stuck to the drain plug (magnetized). Don't recall any when I changed oil at 20 hours and at about 80 hours. Don't know what constitutes a lot or not much, but doesnt' seem there should be any."

If there is only a small amoun

If there is only a small amount of fine (wet powder like) it is probally ok. Shavings would be a concern.

"You will get a build up on th

"You will get a build up on the drain bung which can look like there is a major problem in the gearbox but all lower units get it Iwould be concerned with chunky bits if they were on the magnet, I would recommend changing the oil a bit more often and monitor it."

Back