Logo

Burnt oil

jawbreaker

i have a 2000 model 25horse th

i have a 2000 model 25horse that get some type of burnt oil like substance on the left side just under what i would call the motor pan( the thing the coweling attaches to)the oil is tacky and dry feeling may have some fuel in it as well. cant really just wipe off its like pasted on.

"I would clean it off complete

"I would clean it off completely inside and outside of the cowling, then run the motor with the cowling off and try to see where this stuff is coming from. Sounds like maybe an exhaust leak of some sort...Good luck"

"that was my thought as well,

"that was my thought as well, i have cleaned it before and it keeps comming back. there is never anything inside the cowel just on the outside.if this exhaust could it damage the motor having a exhaust leak of this nature.

thanks for your reply"

With the motor running maybe c

With the motor running maybe could spray a bit of something like WD-40 in the carb intake to produce a little smoke so you may be able to see where exhaust might be leaking from...just an idea. It does seem like an exhaust related issue...may have to remove some parts to find the problem. Maybe some of the other folks on here will have some ideas about this..Good luck!

"thanks again for you input, i

"thanks again for you input, if it is a exhaust leak this should not affect the performance of the motor? im no ace mechanic but i have heard on automobiles a exhaust leak can burn valves,a friend of mine years ago had a chevy luv pick up with a crack in the exhaust manifold and it did burn a valve.i wold have to think that even outboard motors have some type of valves and would like to fix the problem before it creats new ones. thanks again"

"Harry is your engine a 2stk o

"Harry is your engine a 2stk or a 4stk, either way if the exhaust is leaking between the powerhead and trunk housing it will cause problems and it is not a big job to remove the powerhead and change the gasket"

"I have another question....Wh

"I have another question....When changing the impeller in th ewater pump, does it matter which way the fingers on the impeller bend, clockwise or counterclockwise? Will the pick on the water supply be the same?"

"when hooking two batteries to

"when hooking two batteries together for a 24 volt trolling motor do you go from the positve post of one battery to the negitive post on the other battery. and then hook one wire coming from the trolling motor to each battery and how do i install a big foot swith,(interupter switch that is controlled by stepping on)"

"You will need to change the p

"You will need to change the powerhead gasket. If it is a small weep, no bother for now, but it may get worse and soon you may get puffs of gas coming out. And then, it may damage the gasket face. Change the gasket."

Back