Logo

Shift cable adjustment

gps

"What a great info board. Can

"What a great info board. Can usually solve my boating problems by lurking and reading this board. Now I need some guidance. 87 Merc 4.3 ltr. Alpha one drive. Shifts into forward and throttles A-ok. Pulls back into neutral, A-ok. Shifts into reverse good and you can hear and feel it go in. When I apply throttle when in reverse it simply dies. I know that it is cable adjustment but I don't know how to adjust it. I understand that it should be in the water to apply some load to the prop. Thanks in advance to all that respond, GPS"

"Ben

you do not have to be

"Ben

you do not have to be in the water to do this.

With the boat on the trailer,

1. raise the outdrive a couple of inches!

2. remove the short cable that goes to the outdrive from the bracket

3. push the plastic end IN and have someone turn the prop C'clockwise till it locks solid.

Keep the plastic end pushed in with light pressure.
4. measure from the center of the brass trunion to the hole where the screw went thru. 6 inches exactly no more than 6.
5. remove the control cable from the bracket.
6. install the short cable back on the bracket.

7. put controll levber into full forward full throttle position.
8 now adjust the trunion on the control cable so it fits in the bracket BUT do not install yet.

9 Now adjust that trunion on the controll cable 4 turns away from the plastic end.
10 install back onto bracket.
11. now shift back to neutral and make sure the pop spins freely.
12. shift to forward ( aprox 10:00 OCLOCK AND NO FUTHER!!) you should get full forward engagement when the prop is turned by hand c'clockwise.
13. pull the control back to neutral.
14. put the control into reverse (APROX. 2:00 OCLOCK NO FURTHER!!) YOU SHOULD HAVE FULL REVERSE WHILE someone SPINS THE PROP in the CLOCKWISE direction.

If not let us know.

This is a static adjustment. After this put it in the water and check it out.

This should be enough to work. If it still stalls then you will need more diagnostics andpossibly a new short cable."

Back