Logo

70 hp 3cyl 1968 change head gasket

remove all bolts. tap gently w

remove all bolts. tap gently with rubber mallett/
piece of wood and a hammer.do not pry with screwdriver/anything else.

"i'm thinking..u dont have

"i'm thinking..u dont have a 68--70...the reason,i bring this up,is for ur parts orders,and info...this is,off the top of my hd,but,...nope,..cant see it....68 55,maybe..,...73--65,i believe...74 -70..yep"

"The modle # is J70TLCDC it is

"The modle # is J70TLCDC it is the same # in both locations. Charles i tried that no luck. I also tried with heat same results. The reason i am doing the gasket is no power,2 top cyl. spark pulg looks steam cleaned,3 compresion test results 80lbs,105lbs,110lbs."

are you sure you removed the r

are you sure you removed the right bolts?
not the water jacket(its the larger ones)

jwb. why do you think i have a

jwb. why do you think i have a 86 70. i used the introdues 1234567890 methed to age my motor.Thehood has 70 viro on it. the water jacketcover and head is one unit.

"u r after---the wrong cover..

"u r after---the wrong cover...u r correct,that IS the wtr jacket cvr..if u look above,...i mentioned..EXHAUST cvr...on sd of engine...not very often,but i have dealt w/that prob,many times.....if ,that makes sense.....and if u look at ur eng cvr again,..i bet a nickel,it does NOT say.....VIRO......i think,..it says...vro
u actually,do NOT count,the 'suffix' letter....try again and u will see....look at that eng,do u believe,it was made,in 1968???"

"jwb i looked, you are correct

"jwb i looked, you are correct VRO is on the hood.AS to age i did not think 68 was correct, but i followed what clymer book has at the begining of the chapter on power heads it has the above mentioned method. idid get head removed it took alot of time and effort. hard to tell if gasket had leak,but top cyl.on head looks steamed cleaned too. what do you think i look foreward to your imput. Thanks!"

"hey jbw&joe 1st i am glad

"hey jbw&joe 1st i am glad for 20yrs newer motor, someone should inform clymer that you do not use the last letter!!! becouse their example dose. ch. 8 begining gives example [j60elei is a 1991 60hp modle (e=9&i=1).] my com.# are 105,115 120."

No i am going to treat top cyl

No i am going to treat top cyl. with motor medic to make sure rings are clean and freed up since water was getting in that cyl .then iwill do another comp. test. then clean and ajust carbs . that should do it for this motor. Next i have 87 J90 VRO to change motor for tilt/trim mtoor clea and adjust carbs

Back