Logo

Bf 150 problems

akgoat

I have a bf150 with 70hrs. It

I have a bf150 with 70hrs. It has always had a problem with eratic rps in the 4000-4500rpm range. my dealer said to run it and see if it goes away. Any thoughts?? the other thing is that every 20hrs or so it needs more gear oil added. the oil still in the gear case looks good though. Thanks for your thoughts

"Max - interestingly, both of

"Max - interestingly, both of those problems may be related. Once those Honda 4-strokes have passed the initial break-in - usually about 25-30 hours (and the recommended post-break-in maintenance) - then it's important to run them at WOT a good bit over the next 100 hours or so in order to properly seat the rings. I learned this from my dealer after he had to tear down my engine over another issue. He said he found oil on top of the pistons, indicating the rings hadn't sealed properly. The HDS codes confirmed that the motor had only 2 hours at WOT. In other words, I was "babying" the engine too much. This is not published in the owner's manual or shop manual."

I talked to my dealer again to

I talked to my dealer again today and they think I am crazy. although they did indicate that the Thermostats might not be letting the engine warm up creating the eratic rpm problem. The lower unit oil though I am puzzled about because if ail can get out water should be able to get in. there going to look at it next week so we will see.

"Max - I mis-read your first m

"Max - I mis-read your first message, so I apologize for that. I thought you had to add oil to the crankcase, not the gear case. When drive gears are under load, and heated up, it can push a small amount of oil out of the fill port or drain port. Check the gaskets and the torque on those. As for the erratic RPM's - that could be several things. I had a similar problem at low RPM's trolling speed on my 225 in the first 100 hours. Dealer said the ECM was just adjusting. But erratic RPM's in the 4000 range sounds like a different problem - probably with the VTEC system. That's above my knowledge level. Some of the real masters on this forum might want to chime in on that issue."

Back