Logo

1988 BAYLINER 30 OMC STARTING PROBLEMS AFTER WINTER

coachm4fun

BOAT RAN AWESOME LAST YEAR. I

BOAT RAN AWESOME LAST YEAR. I WINTERIZED MY BOAT....AND EVERY YEAR IT STARTS UP RIGHT AWAY IN THE SPRING....THIS YEAR IT TURNS OVER BUT NO FIRE... I CQN SMELL THE GAS BUT IT ISN'T OVER POWERING. REPLACED THE PLUGS (NEED IT) AND THE COIL. POWER IS AT THE COIL AND THE POINTS ANY IDEAS.. SHOULD I REPLACE THE POINTS WITH ELECTRONIC. AND IF SO IS IT AN EASY SWAP?

"Hi Paul, welcome !!! Please t

"Hi Paul, welcome !!! Please turn off your caps lock when posting, it's looked at like your yelling.

Swapping from points to electronics is easy and worth it in the long run, I haven't seen a complaint yet.

You say you have power at the points?

You need to check for spark at the plugs, could be the points or condensor causing the problem. When was the coil or points/condensor last changed or gapped?

You'll want to remove the cap and check/adjust the gap of the points and maybe observe the points while the engine cranks. (be caustios of fuel though you'll have an exposed spark)"

I'M NOT YELLING. lol yes

I'M NOT YELLING. lol yes power at the points. I have no spark at the plugs and the points were replaced 2 years ago. Coil is brand new. I will check the gap and go from there. brb with a response.

Take some fine sandpaper or an

Take some fine sandpaper or an emery board (from the wife) and give the points a quick cleaning. Could be they are not opening enough or too much crud on them to make a connection when they close.

"Darn'ed if I don't ha

"Darn'ed if I don't have the exact [or at least very similar] problem this year. The only difference I have is I've not replaced the points/condenser/plugs/cap/rotor since.....I've owned the boat >>4 years, and don't know when the previous owner changed them. Time to do some basic tune-up and maintenance work.
Please let us know if it was a gap issue, or what you may have done to fix it. Thank you!"

"OK Replaced the points, cond

"OK Replaced the points, condenser and rotor($15 for all three). Hint: go to a reputable car parts store that has a listing for OMC Gapped them with the cardboard from the box... NO PROBLEM. Fired up after the first try... Would anyone know the gap for the points and the plugs?

By the way..THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP GUYS"

Plugs .035
Points .019 or dwe

Plugs .035
Points .019 or dwell 31-34 deg
Timing 4 deg BTDC with AKI 89 or 1 deg ATDC with AKI 86
Idle RPM 500-600 (in gear) WOT RPM 4200-4600

Thanks for the info.. I also h

Thanks for the info.. I also have issues with the wooden floor rotting... just above the fuel tank in the middle if the boat near the engine... any sites to look up repair tips? I also found a place that has carpet 20' X 8" for $200 to replace the interior. Does anyone know of another vendor that would by easier/less expensive?

"-My parts won't be availa

"-My parts won't be available till tomorrow, so I hope I'm as lucky as you on the start up. So far I just adjusted the old points (seemed to be stuck closed), and swapped plugs. Rest will come tomorrow.
-No help on the floor, but I di"

Back