Logo

Old suzuki 2Stroke engine issues

johng1974

"hi all, my first post [img][/

"hi all, my first post

I have brought an old Fibreglass speedboat, and with it came a trailer and a suzuki OB. I know my way around car and bike engines, so not frightened of pulling the motor apart to clean carb and so on..

so far, after a brief look over, I have discovered it's stuck in Forwards.. needs a seperate fuel tank, has no obvious ID on it, and compression feels ok (I will test this properly this week)

Its a 400cc twin, with no mention of HP.. but I am guessing it could be 30 or so? Installed in the boat I brought, I imagine it will be quite quick enough to begin with.. The boat is around 15'

anyway, more soon

John"

"Outboard power..

anyone wa

"Outboard power..

anyone want to make a guess? 400cc twin two stroke, looks to be late 70's early 80's.. are we talking 20hp or 40 ? I just dont want to spend time and money looking for/buying/fitting tricky parts, to find the engine is not quite what I am after, at the end.... guess I have not much choice really..."

Hi Black betty.. I appreciate

Hi Black betty.. I appreciate that..
I was just after an idea really...

I have a pic online of the engine but not allowed to link to it..

there are no ID numbers I can see

"well first news.. pulled plug

"well first news.. pulled plugs and tried getting a spark from each lead to the head.. one does, one doesn't.
tried measureing voltage to each coil when pulling the rope, one gets to about 5 volts (I am pulling left handed) and the other non-firing coilwire goes off to infinity.. actually reads 30-40V before it goes to 1, on a higher scale same thing..

cdi box or stator.. ?"

"type the link to the pic.
c

"type the link to the pic.
could be the CDI, try using the plug you know fires in the other boot. perhaps the non-firing plug is bad, (one could only hope its that easy). CDI is hard to test w/o tools. I think if it was the Stator, neither would fire, as the stator supplies the CDI with power. I'm just guessing though."

"[url=""]http://old-speedboat.

"http://old-speedboat.b*ogspot.com/

good news BB, a friend came over, and with one of us pulling and one watching, both plugs are firing after all! one is weaker, and a plug swap didnt improve that.
Next was fuel.. not much happening with the side mounted fuel pump, so tried a direct gravity feed.. carb is nasty and needs a clean, but it was close to firing up.. loads of compression, takes an effort to pull the rope.. ran out of time tonight..

this will run tomorrow night, then I need to figure what is happening with it stuck in F
"

"all, I cant see any ID number

"all, I cant see any ID numbers on my engine... where should I look.. at have examined all parts of outboard and nothing except D23 stamped into the block... Suzuki never made a D23 ..."

"it ran! a carb rebuild... and

"it ran! a carb rebuild... and I pulled the rope and it ran! for a second! I feel a bit like I am talking to myself
maybe I should get something new-fangled on the back? this engine is way obsolete it seems

more to follow..

John, London"

"well.. no more attepts to sta

"well.. no more attepts to start her.. decided to try and fix gearbox, which is stuck in Forwards..

Oil removed : about 1/2 - 3/4 of a pint, looks ok.
Gearbox lower casing removed
Gearbox all fine.. the selector shaft is seized... at the top.. the problem now is that I need to remove the main casing, and all 10mm bolts between it and engine feel very springy.. really dont need to break any never mind all.. cannot get to the other side of quite a few of them.. is there any other way of getting the selector shaft moving without removing the casing ? all help much appreciated
John"

"well the powerhead is off the

"well the powerhead is off the main casing.. the gear selection issue is resolved

One of the bolts to the powerhead has snapped.. so I need to get that extracted... the main problem looks to be gaskets, without knowing engine number
will email browns I guess..

some pics are in the address mentioned above.. add a b before 'log' for some reason i cant write that word
"

"I now have cross referenced t

"I now have cross referenced the engine to a clymer manual, and various specs and pics from there.. its an early DT20 ...

I will be putting the powerhead back on the casing this week, and will then see how she runs.. I dont think 20HP is really going to be much fun.. I have checked the hull and the expected engine is 40-70HP.. with this in mind I have brought a 50HP evinrude alredy ! an 'Elcia' model.. this engine will also need work
"

Back