Logo

Bad fuel pump or needs priming

cmconstant

"Just bought 1980 Carver with

"Just bought 1980 Carver with 270s, has not run in three year. Port side started easily, starboard won't start, replaced fuel/water filter, still wouldn't start, rechecked fileter, no fuel in it. Should I fill this filter with gas to prime it?, or is the fuel pump weak, or no good?
thanks"

"Switch the fuel line from the

"Switch the fuel line from the running motor to non starting one and see what happens. If it starts right up then you know the issue is the fuel system if not then you might have a bad fuel pump. You can also just hook up an out board tank to it. Last but not least in the oops catagorie, is there fuel in that tank? Have a great day"

"Mine does that nonsense as we

"Mine does that nonsense as well. You could try shooting some carb cleaner into the carb, then replace the flame arrestor BEFORE trying it. If it tries to fire up, you have a gas flow problem, possible a stuck anti-syphon valve, a weak pump, or maybe an air leak. (Don't laugh. My FloScan wouldn't read right when located after a fuel shutoff that never leaked a drop of gas. It allowed air to ge sucked in, however, and that messed up the FloScan readings).

Jeff"

"SOLVED!!! Well, I learned a

"SOLVED!!! Well, I learned a valuable lesson about working on boats, talk to the old-timer wandering through the boat yard before doing anything. I was telling him my symptoms, good spark but no fire, no fuel in filter canister, and about ready to start pulling the fuel pump off, he says"there's nothin wrong with yer fuel pump son, jus take a hammer and wack the carburator" I did, it started the next try, the float was stuck. Thank God I ran into him before getting in any deeper into a project that didn't need to be done!!!"

"Jeff, I agree. I whacked my

"Jeff, I agree. I whacked my port starter for about four years before I changed it out.

Chuck"

I wonder if the clip was conne

I wonder if the clip was connecting the needle to the float in that quadrajet??!!??

"HA, chuck, thats how i used t

"HA, chuck, thats how i used to start my old bronco. I love old school fixes."

Back