Logo

1965 evinrude 95 sportwin

"Do you have compression on bo

"Do you have compression on both cylinders? What are the compression readings?

With the spark plugs removed, do you have spark that will jump a 1/4" gap with a strong blue spark?

If the above areas are okay, I'd suspect a fouled carburetor, and if so, remove, clean, and rebuild it."

I also have 1965 Evinrude 9522

I also have 1965 Evinrude 9522c. Propulsion slips under pressure (sharp turns and full power) as motor revs. I had this model when a teenager and I recall having a similar issue caused by the prop bushing. Is that most likely or should I look at something else? I want to be sure before I reach for my wallet.

"Dave,, there should be no rea

"Dave,, there should be no reason for that? Some newer engines have a lock out plate on the timing plate that prevents starting in gear but that should not have any affect in your case? Still thinking?? Do not fully understand your statement - wont let me shift to startposition in neutral from shifter? Does that mean throttle will not go to start position while in neutral?"

"here's what happens if I

"here's what happens if I put it in neutral I can't get it to start. and the shifter handle does not go to start position. If I put it in forward the handle shifter allows me to put it in the start setting on the handle and the motor starts with one pull or two. and the trottle is set as if its wide open, in the test tank in made thats OK but not on my Zodiac scraed the heck out of me. Its like the setting on the handle are backwardsor something?"

"You need to find a way to giv

"You need to find a way to give yourself more throttle in neutral. Find where the throttle stop is for neutral...is there an adjustment? is it a type that you can grind some material away to allow more travel? Those handles on the arm would wear out, it may have been replaced at one time and repositioned wrong. I had a few of these great engines when I was younger and I'm sure I experienced this issue and worked around it...wish I could remember exactly how!"

Back