Logo

130 with erratic loss of rpm at high speed

wbickle

"We cannot get out of sight of

"We cannot get out of sight of the dock without experiencing trouble. Our 2001 Honda 130 engine seemingly starts fine at initial startup, but at high rpm's, it sporadically suffers a sudden loss of RPM/power, sometimes to the point of actually quitting. If it does quit in this fashion, sometimes it will restart easily; others not. It seems to act up whether using the main fuel tank or the little portable tank I bought to eliminate fuel as the issue. New plugs had no apparent effect, and the old ones looked just fine.

This engine went from Old Reliable to Scares-me-to-death.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Bill"

"First thing to check/replace

"First thing to check/replace are the fuel filters, especially the high pressure fuel filter."

"Is the high pressure filter m

"Is the high pressure filter made of plastic, with the input and discharge ports at 90 degrees to one another? I've got the Seloc manual, but it is of no assistance in figuring out what's what.

The plastic filter is the one one I see. Is there a second one on the engine itself?

Thanks for your response.

Bill"

You need to remove the right e

You need to remove the right engine under-cover to get to it. There is only one fuel input tube to it. You need to first relieve the fuel pressure by slowly loosening the 12 mm service check bolt. Use shop rags to catch any fuel. Then remove the three 5 mm screws from the cover. Be sure to use a new O-ring when you replace the cover - it normally comes with the new filter. BTW - that service check bolt is where you can attach a fuel pressure gauge to test you fuel pressure.

"I managed to find a small &#4

"I managed to find a small (very small) Honda shop about an hour away, and after confirming that he had the HP filter in stock, off I went.

I ended up chatting with the guy for more than an hour, and learned an awful lot. Thankfully, he warned me about that spring behind the HP filter. I ended up buying an armload of miscellaneous parts in an attempt to say thanks. He also gave me the attached schematic, which showed me the location and appearance of the HP filter and illustrated a water separator I didn't even know was on the engine.

Anyway, back to the boat. On his advice, I first drained the vapor separator, then the on-engine water separator (more about that in a minute), then replaced the plastic fuel filter, then replaced the HP filter.

The water separator had a lot of water in it. I didn't take note of exactly how much. Is that little red ring inside supposed to be a visual indicator of how much water is in the separator? There is no mention of this item anywhere in the literature I have in-hand.

The plastic filter had water in it as well.

Judging from the muscle it took to break the three screws on the HP filter cover, I'm guessing that had never been touched. It was pretty grimey.

I have yet to do a sustained test after these repairs, but will let the group know how I fared.

Thanks to all.

Bill

283556.gif
Honda 139 fuel system schematic

"We took the boat out today, u

"We took the boat out today, using the portable tank, and the engine ran flawlessly. The sum of clean, dry fuel and the work done on the filters and the water separator seems to have worked nicely.

Now, I have 30 or so gallons of wet fuel in the the boat's tank to extract and discard. Suggestions as to method would be appreciated."

"If not a very large volume of

"If not a very large volume of fuel, you can purchase an after-market fuel pump at any auto parts store - $25 - $30 bucks. Carefully hook it up to a 12-volt battery (very long leads & no sparks) and the appropriate plastic pick-up and discharge hoses and pump away. I tape the pick-up hose to a stiff wand so I can tilt the boat, and then get just about every drop of fuel out. You'll be amazed how many other things you can use that pump to handle, like cleaning out fuel tanks of mowers and pressure washers."

The aftermarket fuel pump is a

The aftermarket fuel pump is a great idea. I'm not sure where to put the pickup tube. I was thinking about cutting the fuel line on the engine side of the priming bulb and inserting the fuel pump there. The tank's pickup tube is located under an access panel in the cockpit floor which I would just as soon leave alone.

Does that make sense?

Bill

"That is not a very good solut

"That is not a very good solution. Two main problems - the water will be at the very bottom of the tank, and pumping it out from the fuel pick up tube will not get it all. Secondly, sediment and E-10 gunk will also be at the bottom of the tank and may clog your pick up tube. You are far better off opening the tank access hatch and getting in there with a suck out tube with the boat tilted as I described earlier. When you start pulling out the last couple of quarts, pump it into clear glass bottles. You will likely be astounded at the amount of water and gunk you see."

Back