Logo

1409 carb

I am installing a new 1409 car

I am installing a new 1409 carb on my 81 318. I see there is a plug on the intake manifold in front of the distributor. Would it be ok to run the PVC line to it?

Mike... The PCV hook-ups are f

Mike... The PCV hook-ups are from the valve covers... I just installed a 1409 on my 1981 318... Mike...

Mike did you drill your carb o

Mike did you drill your carb out for the pcv hose? The other valve cover goes to the flame arrestor from the breather. I was just wondering if I could use the plug on the manifold to hook up the pcv hose to instead of the carb.

"Mike, the pcv valve has to b

"Mike, the pcv valve has to be connected to the port on the base of the carb, and run to the grommet in the valve cover. The port on the carb sucks vacuum and therefore sucks out harmful gases out of the crankcase. The plug on your intake manifold is probably a spare vacuum port. If you hooked up the carb to that, you'd have two vacuum ports hooked up and effeftively cancelling out each other. Engine performance could also suffer if a vacuum port is not hooked up or hooked up incorrectly. You have to drill out the vacuum port on the new 1409, and install a fitting in it that could be used to connect the pcv valve. There are a lot of posts with pics on here showing how to do that. Looks pretty easy, I will be switching to one also soon."

Mike Duggan; Yes I did drill o

Mike Duggan; Yes I did drill out the passages for the PCV fitting... Scroll down to the post entitled: "1409 PCV fitting install "... There are photos & a description of the procedure that I used there... Hope this helps & good luck... Mike...

"Hey, if you have a fitting in

"Hey, if you have a fitting in the intake you can use, go for it! Drilling and tapping that hole is a pain.

Jeff"

"I think I misunderstood your

"I think I misunderstood your post. I thought you wanted to connect the carb to the port on the intake, which would not work. If you wanted to connect the vacuum port on the intake to the pcv valve in the valve cover, that should work. Its esentially the same as using the carb vacuum port, just make sure its sucking enough vacuum to work the pcv properly."

Back