Logo

1989 Evinrude 70hp VRO fuel pump problem

joho5

"Ok I will give you the run do

"Ok I will give you the run down on this motor. I got it a couple weeks ago and the previous owner had disabled the VRO system, cutting and blocking the oil line. Thats fine.

Well when I got the motor it would perform inconsistent at WOT, it would surge. Sometimes run fine, and sometimes bog down.

I went ahead and rebuilt the 3 carbs and replaced all fuel lines. That didnt fix the problem.

I was suspecting a foul fuel pump, and I think its confirmed a dead fuel pump now. I can pump the primer bulb until its hard and the engine will start and run, but when the bowls run out of fuel, it dies, unless I pump them back up in the mean time.

What I want to do is just pull the VRO pump out and replace with a standard premix fuel pump.

I want to do this as cheap as possible and I have searched and searched on this topic and found mixed topics. I know I can use the 3 nipple fuel pump that supplied the 1983 model 70hp motors before VRO, but I really want an aftermarket part.

The price difference is huge. With that said my question is, is there a Sierra fuel pump that will work with my engine and work correctly?

also, is there anything else I may need to check that might be my problem instead of the fuel pump?

thanks"

"ck that the pulse hose,nipple

"ck that the pulse hose,nipple is clear...ck compression on that cyl....but,sounds like u do need a new pump."

"Which cylinder does it go to?

"Which cylinder does it go to? Its on the bottom of the block, and the cylinders are stacked up so would it be the bottom cylinder?

Yea thats the pump I am going to get, but I was looking for a Sierra or aftermarket brand alternative.

is the pulse nipple, just a valve?

thanks for the reply."

"yep...
sierra,does make a 3

"yep...
sierra,does make a 3 nipple pump...but they list it for up to..a 30 horse...i dont know why?...i'd be scared to try it afraid of low output,small valves etc.... i'd go w/the brp."

"Yea, I saw that one and was c

"Yea, I saw that one and was curious.

I guess I will just go with the BRP part.

thanks. Could any blockage or air leak cause the same symptoms I am describing?

is there any way to take apart the VRO pump and check in side and verify mine is shot?

thanks"

sure...tear in to it...u can r

sure...tear in to it...u can rebuild the air and fuel side...a rebuild kit...is avail...

"hey matt, i also have a '

"hey matt, i also have a '89 70hp evinrude. i was also thinking of changing from the vro to a standard fuel pump. if you find one that works will you let me know. thanks"

"the standard pump that works,

"the standard pump that works,...is for an 83 70,....96.00... u can go to shop.evinrude.com to see all the parts."

Back